cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 680 DCU2T Opengl driver lost connection with the display driver...Help!!

Krazye
Level 7
Okay, this is my first ever post on this site, Im hoping I can get some help from u guys. I recently bought and built a new gaming rig from scratch. Everything was working fine until I purchased the GTX 680 DCU2T. When I play COD MW3 and Assassins Creed Revelations I get a black screen after random time of play but the audio isnt affected but after about 2 to 3 seconds the screens comes back. This however doesnt happen when im playing COD in online multiplayer. So I decided to fully test my rig, I used prime95 and no problem, then I tried furmark and things didnt go so well. After random amounts of time, sometimes even within 5 seconds, furmark crashes with the following error:

The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display drivuer due to exceeding the Windows Time-Out limit and is unable to continue. The application must close. Error code 7

I've done alot of googling and seems other people faced the same problem with opengl but their games were fully crashing. Mine isnt. I've tried all the solutions i've come across from installing lastest drivers, changing power management in nvidia settings and checking my card isnt overheating. Furmark has even crashed with my gpu as low as 42 C. So its definately not a heat issue and my cpu at max load tops at 67 C. Im afraid of even thinking my gpu is faulty, I've waited a long time to use it!!

My system is as follow:

Maximus V Formual
Intel i7 3770k
Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz
Corsair AX850
GTX 680 DCU2T
Samsung S23A950D running at 120Hz
Sandisk Extreme 120 GB SSD

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Maximus V Formula
Intel Core i7 3770k
8Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz
Sandisk Extreme 120 Gb SSD
GTX 680 DirectCU II Top
Corsair AX850 PSU
Samsung S23A950D 3D 120Hz
25 REPLIES 25

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You could download an OCing program like Afterburner and downclock the card a bit to test out if it is stable at lower clocks. If so then you will have to send it back since it is not doing what it is supposed to. And it does sound like the OC is failing.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
You could download an OCing program like Afterburner and downclock the card a bit to test out if it is stable at lower clocks. If so then you will have to send it back since it is not doing what it is supposed to. And it does sound like the OC is failing.

Thanks for the reply....Ok this sounds weird to me, I just used the Asus Gpu tweak and I underclocked the card to 1051 Mhz and the temp went all the way up to 90 C and crashed when i used Furmark. Is that normal?
Maximus V Formula
Intel Core i7 3770k
GTX 680 DirectCU II Top
Corsair AX850 PSU

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
GPU tweak is volatile (to put something polite) at the best of times. No, that isn't supposed to happen.....you just moved the slider for core clock down a bit?. I would run GPU tweak and click defaults.....exit and uninstall it. Use AB or Precision X.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
GPU tweak is volatile (to put something polite) at the best of times. No, that isn't supposed to happen.....you just moved the slider for core clock down a bit?. I would run GPU tweak and click defaults.....exit and uninstall it. Use AB or Precision X.

I did exactly as u said, I used AB and I turned down the core clock to -256 (=954Mhz) and the gpu temp is at 83 C at 99% load using furmark. Its gotten really loud with the fan at 65%. Furmark hasnt crashed yet but the temp still doesnt look right at that clock speed. 😞
Maximus V Formula
Intel Core i7 3770k
GTX 680 DirectCU II Top
Corsair AX850 PSU

HiVizMan
Level 40
Download the latest version of GPUz.

Open the appliction and click on the monitoring tab. Tick the box at the bottom that enables monitoring when application is in the back ground.

Post a screenshot of the open GPUz and monitoring page after you have let your card do its thing for 10 mins or so. Watch a video or play a game for 10 minutes. Do not run a benchmark please.

I want to see the temps so make sure you scroll the monitoring page up.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Download the latest version of GPUz.

Open the appliction and click on the monitoring tab. Tick the box at the bottom that enables monitoring when application is in the back ground.

Post a screenshot of the open GPUz and monitoring page after you have let your card do its thing for 10 mins or so. Watch a video or play a game for 10 minutes. Do not run a benchmark please.

I want to see the temps so make sure you scroll the monitoring page up.

I've uploaded the screenshots, please let me know what u think. Tks
Maximus V Formula
Intel Core i7 3770k
GTX 680 DirectCU II Top
Corsair AX850 PSU

Krazye wrote:

I've uploaded the screenshots, please let me know what u think. Tks

OK so it seems to be reasonable.

Can you post a GPUz main tab now please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
OK so it seems to be reasonable.

Can you post a GPUz main tab now please.

I just uploaded the gpuz main tab now, I was playing COD MW3 and it was still going black screen and returning.
Maximus V Formula
Intel Core i7 3770k
GTX 680 DirectCU II Top
Corsair AX850 PSU

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm.... there is a bios difference there compared to my 680.....don't know it that means anything.....