cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx HDD Issue

Evinrude20
Level 7
Hi all, after reading mixed reviews, I finally bought a g74sx refurb from newegg. All was well when i got it, until the asus updater did its work. Then I got a BSOD. After a restart everything seemed normal, until random freezing all the time. Never got a bsof again , just freezing. Then one morning turned it on and it hund right after the asus logo. I tried a clean install, but after the windows dvd did its thing and needed to access the hdd, it froze. I pulled jt out and stuck it in my external, when i plugged it into my desktop, it wouldnt come up. I put the drive in my desktop and tried to install windows, but at the drive selection prompt, it doesnt recognize the drive. Are there any solutions anyone can think of before I have to send the whole laptop back for repair? Also i bought another hdd and insalled windows and all the drivwrs and havent had an issue for about 2 weeks. 80gb isnt quite what 1tb was though.
Thanks alot!
4 REPLIES 4

dstrakele
Level 14
I would see if 1) NewEgg would allow you to exchange the laptop for another G74SX or give you a refund, or 2) see if ASUS will accept just your defective 1 TB HDD for replacement without having to send in your entire laptop.

If neither were possible, I would RMA the laptop to ASUS for drive replacement, as long as it is still under Warranty. It should be a quick and easy fix.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

cl-scott
Level 12
I had to clean up a mess Mason left involving him creating an RMA for just a specific component, so I'd prefer not to do that again, thanks. 😛 Besides, there may be other issues that would be found during the course of testing if techs had the whole unit.

So if you're outside of NewEgg's return/exchange window, refurb units have a 90 day warranty with Asus. You could send it in to get what sounds like a defective drive replaced.

http://www.service.asus.com/#!consumer/csn9 -- If you decide you want to send it in.

SUKARA
Level 10
If convenient, you can try to plan contact asus service center please!
asus service center contact information reference to you:
http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en

Thanks for the reply guys. I sent it back for an exchange as it was still under 30 days. When the new one comes in, do you guys recommend a clean install of windows 7 right off the bat?