cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73 BSOD, a little help?

Retired
Not applicable
Hi all, first off I would like to say thanks to Chastity for the drivers and updates thread. I have updated my G73JH with a clean Windows 7 install and all of the latest BIOS, vBIOS, Catalyst, and every other driver on that thread. A big help, that is!

And, a big NO THANKS to Asus for letting us all be beta testers. Never again! What a great machine...almost. It's the first system I've ever bought that I didn't build myself, and frankly it is amazing, the performance is astounding, great price (or so it seemed), it's quiet, looks kinda cool, plays games as well as I need, all fine save the endless crashes!

NO THANKS number two - the AC power supply died, very forgivable, but seriously - you want me to ship it back at my expense under warranty and wait who knows how long for a replacement? Wow. Two Targus 180W power supplies duly ordered from ebay for a little more than the cost of shipping mine back.

Thanks to Chastity's help and lots of reading of many, many threads (can I bill Asus?), I think I am down to one final problem to fix. I am getting a BSOD under any and all conditions - web surfing, DVD playing, gaming, it even BSOD'd once just sitting at the desktop. This happens semi-rarely, maybe once or twice a week. Often enough to be annoying.

Windows Event Viewer is no help, and I did configure Windows to write a dump file, which it never does. I also ran Memtest86+ for a few hours with no errors.

My system is a G73JH-BST7, stock Best Buy unit with an OCZ SSD as the boot drive. Had some issues with that, too, but got it sorted and it is working great now. Here is the Windows BSOD error message in case it means something to someone:

"STOP: 0X000000F4 (0X0000000000000003, 0XFFFFFA8006E70A90, 0XFFFFFA8006E70D70, 0XFFFFF800033D8F40)"
20 REPLIES 20

Chastity
Level 10
BSOD issues arise from driver and hardware errors. It's kind of a hit & miss trial to figure out what is causing it. I would try disabling any non-essential hardware (webcam, ODD, ports, WiFi, etc) in the BIOS or Device Manager and see if it continues. Seeing that you installed an SSD, I would check to see if there are any firmware updates for your SSD.

I'm sorry for the issues you experienced, and I've been there. However, once sorted out, it's a great machine.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks Chastity, I know it is a good machine, and I am sticking with it. I'll give that a shot. I was thinking of buying a new HDD and doing a new install of Win7 on that, putting my current HDDs on the shelf for a while. Maybe I'll just disable a bunch of things and try that first.

I did update the firmware for my SSD, I was having issues with the system freezing and occasionally not finding the boot drive. I had just plugged the SSD into the free HDD bay and didn't realize that it was on SATA port 4 (?) - swapping it to the primary drive bay seemed to clear up all HDD issues.

Retired
Not applicable
Chastity wrote:
BSOD issues arise from driver and hardware errors. It's kind of a hit & miss trial to figure out what is causing it. I would try disabling any non-essential hardware (webcam, ODD, ports, WiFi, etc) in the BIOS or Device Manager and see if it continues. Seeing that you installed an SSD, I would check to see if there are any firmware updates for your SSD.

I'm sorry for the issues you experienced, and I've been there. However, once sorted out, it's a great machine.

Hoping for another reply on this one. 🙂 I disabled the following components in Device Manager: webcam, WiMax (Best Buy model), HDMI audio. Had another BSOD tonight - I wasn't even touching the machine at the time, just had Google Chrome open to a webpage and when I came back into the office after a few minutes, a BSOD was waiting for me.

Disabled the wifi and I'm plugged right into my router now, we'll see if that helps any. Chastity, I'm not sure what else to disable, and I'm not sure what ODD is? There are a ton of devices under the System Devices tree and I'm not sure what I can disable in there, any suggestions?

Thanks again for the help.

Retired
Not applicable
Sounds similar to my post from few days ago (as below), for which I got zero help from ASUS:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G73JW blue screens and freezes

Hello,

Since new I am experiencing random blue screens on G73JW which are consistent with description given at:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...734-weird-prob lems-asus-g73jw-a1-22.html

The easiest way to reproduce it is to plug a LAN cable and wait, after some time (could be 20min could be few hours) the LAN connection disappears. If I go to device manager the Atheros1381 is not there, ask to refresh P&P devices and device manager hungs, then the blue screen is imminent. Quite a number of people report blues screens related to idling or sleeping or coming back from idling/sleeping. Took the laptop to asus centre in melbourne - they just replaced the LAN board and said "all fixed". Got home and blue screen after 20min. Not sure if it is hardware or software (BIOS) related issue. I've upgraded bios/drivers, had clean install of Win7 64bit, disabled all power options (move to high performance mode with no switching of any USB/HD devices). still no progress. Asus service centre now wants to take laptop for 2weeks examination and I am supposed to back up 2*500Gb hard disk with my development setup (good luck to do it over the wireless since LAN dies once the backup starts).

Anyway I really hope the problem can be solved by getting a new BIOS or new version of drivers or just replacing a motherboard with 1-day turnaround if it is MB issue, but just giving the notebook away with slight chance of the real fix is just too much effort.

Any comments/help???

thanks!

atcji wrote:
Sounds similar to my post from few days ago (as below), for which I got zero help from ASUS

This is primarily a community forum. There are some ASUS employees that try to do what they can here but they can't guarantee a response. For a guaranteed response you'll need to contact customer support.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Chastity
Level 10
The problem could be mobo related, and need to be replaced.

Retired
Not applicable
I also have just bought a g73jw and have already had several BSOD this is my first and probably last time with an Asus product. I have basically installed Microsoft office and that's it. I have taken it back to Asus and to be honest their service and turnaround has been great but this laptop seriously annoys me and reading these posts you need a degree in IT to be able to fix something that should just work as described.

Chastity
Level 10
ODD = Optical Disk Drive... the CD drive 🙂

You can also try uninstalling SilverLight. Also, if you are not using ALchemy for any of your games, uninstall the Creative Audigy app. If you do want it, upgrade to the X-Fi MB software. It just works better.

Retired
Not applicable
Ohhh, the ODD! Thanks.

Been running since my last post with ODD enabled and wifi disabled, and no BSOD yet. Maybe to soon to say, but if I can get through the week without another one, I am going to be looking hard at the wifi. Last BSOD was before I disabled it, and nothing since.

Fingers crossed.