Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

New G75 with display and CPU problems, Help!

Hi there, I have recently purchased a G75VW BBK5 laptop, it is an ex demo model (so they say), and has 3 months warranty. I live in New Zealand.

CPU: i7 3840
    GPU: GTX 660m
    RAM: 16GB
    HDD: 1TB (I have replaced it with a Samsung 830 256GB and a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB in second bay)
    Windows 7 Professional

When it arrived it was running nicely and the display looked fantastic.

The thing I was not happy about was the C drive was partitioned into 2 volumes. I was recommended to 'Recover to whole Hard Drive' to remove the partition, and to remove the 750GB drive before doing it. So I did that but after removing the second drive I rebooted and the display has a blue line down the left side, 3-4 pixels wide, and the colours have gone weird. White have a pale yellow cast and colours with previously smooth gradients are now strangely banded. It is hard to describe easily.

If that was not enough, the CPU has now begun playing up. Before the Recovery I had HWINFO running and everything looked stable, the CPU's VID was consistently 0.91V, but after the recovery or more accurately the removal of the 750GB drive, the voltage is constantly varying from 0.91V to ~1.2V.

When I look at the CPU section of Resource Monitor, the cores (the green lines) are not overly active but the blue line (the Kernel?) is permanently at the top of the graph. Event manager has many Errors and Warnings about Processor-Kernel, the most recent being:

Session "Circular Kernel Context Logger" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035

There are a couple of other issues:
    2 unexpected shut downs, listed as 'Possible power loss to the Processor-Kernel'.
    and one other that seems like a niggle but, even with the Touchpad disabled the buttons occasionally register, mostly the right one...

I will try to attach two jpg's of the screen that I took.

Anyone have any ideas? The technician at the place I bought it from is not a lot of help so far, maybe I will have to send it back, but if it is something easy to fix I would rather get it back to working well and stick with it because I liked it before all the issues sprung up.

Sorry long post, and hope someone can have something useful to suggest.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos G75_Screen Issue.jpg  

G75_Screen Issue_closer.jpg  

Last edited by Flizard; 11-07-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: not 9.1V but 0.91V :)

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

That screen image doesn't look good. I recommend a) booting up with a Linux "LiveCD" distribution or b) performing an F9 ASUS Factory Restore to return your system to an out-of-the-box state. If the video issue persists, I would return the laptop to the retailer for exchange or a complete refund.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    That screen image doesn't look good. I recommend a) booting up with a Linux "LiveCD" distribution or b) performing an F9 ASUS Factory Restore to return your system to an out-of-the-box state. If the video issue persists, I would return the laptop to the retailer for exchange or a complete refund.
    Hi there dstrakele, thanks for the reply.

It doesn't look good does it Even at the Asus logo bootup screen the blue bar is there. I did the F9 Asus Factory Restore, that was the last step of the process which produced this situation in the first place.

Anyway I have finally convinced the guys at the shop that there is something substantially wrong and am making arrangements to send it back to them and they will pass it on to Asus. How to go from little-boy excitement to old-man tiredness in several drawn out and frustrating steps lol.

ROG Member Array

I had those lines too, and just got a replacement G75 today, and like I thought would happen, they're back!

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Area 66's Avatar

those are artifacts it's the GPU not the monitor, I have the same $hit on my desktop with a ENGTX 560, I try quite few drivers, I finally install the GPU on another PC, and I have 0 issues since that time.

ROG Member Array

Then how do you suggest I get rid of these? They're plaguing a ton of G75's and if you had a solution I'd EXTREMELY appreciate it.

Does the corruption carry over if you connect a external display. (I imagine it would)

It looks like a failed GPU but I don't want to jump to any conclusions without proper diag

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Go back to where you bought it and get it replaced asap if it's only 3 months warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallR@ASUS View Post
    Go back to where you bought it and get it replaced asap if it's only 3 months warranty.
    I don't think they'll let her/him. Retailers can get iffy when it comes to Floor models.

Btw, @Richard what's a BBK doing in New Zealand?

Isn't that North American best buy SKU?

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flizard View Post
    Even at the Asus logo bootup screen the blue bar is there.
    That is a key observation, Windows is not even loaded at that point, so it must be a hardware problem.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast