cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX overclock question

flowertree
Level 7
Hi guys, I just wondering if overclock needs any software? like Intel (R) turbo boost and Power4Gear Hybrid? As i want a clear windows and afraid it running in 2.0GHz rather than 2.8GHz (after overclock). Cheers
3 REPLIES 3

chriscosta77
Level 7
flowertree wrote:
Hi guys, I just wondering if overclock needs any software? like Intel (R) turbo boost and Power4Gear Hybrid? As i want a clear windows and afraid it running in 2.0GHz rather than 2.8GHz (after overclock). Cheers

Turbo Boost is built into the chip, so no software needed. There is a Turbo Boost monitor though, so you can see the frequency change.

The power4gear you can download if you want to be able to use the rog button to change profiles. But you can edit profiles and do it from control panel if you want.

fostert
Level 12
Turbo Boost is an automatic overclock based on thermal headroom; i.e. if your chip is running normal/cool, then during periods of activity it will increase its own clocks by an amount determined by how many threads are running. You cannot manually overclock the CPU any other way (e.g. in the BIOS as you might normally) since the QM chips are multiplier locked, and the G74 has no utilities in the BIOS to alter anything to do with the clocks.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Understood, thanks very much!!!