cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failing to POST, Suspected PSU issue

MrRyaz
Level 10
hey Rog forum and thank you in advance for any help,

The problem i am having is that when powered on the system fans and hard drives begin to turn and boot but after a second the system shuts itself down and POST does not begin.

This happened after i was reseting the BIOS after a rather expensive electricity bill and i decided that i need to remove my OC to save a little £££, so i re-enabled Speedstep and C1E but i also enabled C-State support which is the only thing that wasnt on default (apart from a few utility settings fast boot, raid config etc) but after i booted to windows loaded up then about 10secs later it instantly shut down, no BSOD or anything just... off.
when i attempted to restart the power button on my case (and on the board itself) did nothing and a few mins later i tried again and it was doing the self shutdown.

somethign that i should mention is recently AI suite and HWmonitor has been reporting sub 2.9v on the 3.3v rail so this has made me think that it is a PSU issue, i have been meaning to get it RMA'd but i havnt had any problems such as bluescreens so i didnt think it was urgent.

i did a little research and i found that this is what the PSU does to prevent shorting?

but i am currently at work and unable to do any testing (replacing powersupply or trying this one in a different machine)
and i would just like to ask the highly knowlegeable member of ROG forum if they had any suggestions or if it does sound like it would be the PSU.

im sorry if i went on a little but its been 1 day and i miss gaming already 😛

Thanks again,
Ryan
31 REPLIES 31

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey MrRyaz! When you say reset the BIOS did you actually do a clear CMOS or did you revert settings manually?. I would clear cmos check all your connections and RAM are seated properly and try to start up. But if you have access to another PSU try that too.

aswell as swapping to the other physical BIOS chip on the board

MrRyaz
Level 10
i originally just did a manual reset of the settings but after it failed to reboot i used to clear cmos button thats on the IO panel on the board and that didnt effect anything.
as for reseating the RAM, i have not tried this but i wouldnt have thaught this would be the case as i have not even nudged it since it was working fine and i have had the ram incorectly seated before but it failes to complete post rather than preventing post at all

Zka17
Level 16
I guess, you could try an another PSU... or use a PSU tester... - at least I would start with those...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, then you will have to take a good look at your PSU that 3.3 v line is 13% down that is a lot.

MrRyaz
Level 10
oke well i tested a few things last night, i tried the psu in another machine (significantly less powerful) but i booted and i tried the machines psu in my gaming rig and it was doing the same thing.
i removed all aditional hardware leaving only cpu, mobo, 1 stick of ram and the psu and it didnt change anything.
i did notice however that the boot status lights only gets to cpu and then shuts down and the code on the onboard mini display shows "F.F." so this makes me think its a blown CPU.
however i think its going to be a difficult task to find a space socket 1366 i7 to test but im going to have a look at work cos you never know.

still got a couple of other things to test, was told to try reseating the cpu and motherboard aswell in the case as it may be the board shorting to the case.

iv done a hard reset of the bios taking oout the battery aswell and that hasnt effected anything

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sure, you can try the board on a cardboard box and clear cmos with the cpu out of the socket......fingers crossed

MrRyaz
Level 10
il try the cardboard when i get home and see if it is that, thanks for the advice. so just rest the mobo strait onto it? remove the standoffs etc?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yep, you can just lay it on the box no worries connect everything up and fire it up. Just try not to touch the board components much. My anti static measures are to touch a tap every now and then to ground myself. Don't shuffle about on plastic carpet in your slippers....that kind of thing. Dont touch the board or anything else when it's powered and you'll be fine...