cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 HELP! problem with SSD AND HARD DRIVES!

ognsky
Level 7
so i tried to upgrade my g75vw-ts71 laptop with ssd

i bought samsung 120gb ssd

so i put it in as the secondary drive and i reinstalled using recovery disk

but what do you know!

it did recovery on the original hard drive!!

dumb me so i take out hdd and put the ssd in its place and leave out hdd until i finish my OS install

but then after it finishes loading the files from the recovery disks

when it restarts, it says a disk error has occurred press ctrl alt del to restart

and it keep goes on a loop

so i buy another new ssd(intel 520 120gb) and take out samsung ssd

put the intel ssd in its place and do the recovery again

after it load the files from the recvoery disks again it says the same words!

a disk error has occurred!

so i was like wtf and i take out ssd put in the original hdd in the primary drive

and the effin laptop wont boot!

it says select a proper boot device!

so i go to bios and see that my hard drive wont recognize it self in the boot tab

while it shows itself in the sata configuration tab

so i called asus and sent the hard drive to get it replaced

but then now i start to think that maybe its my motherboard or something that is defective or broken...

any computer savvy pros want to help the poor comp nub?
4 REPLIES 4

SUKARA
Level 10
Could you please help to upgrade the G75VM latest bios and test again?

bios file download link: (version221)
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=zh-tw&p=3&s=388&m=G75VW&os=35&ft=3&f_name=G75VWAS221...

rewben
Level 13
try these and see how it goes:

1. if you insisted on having the stock installation:
- find a computer and convert the new ssd into GPT disk; pull out the hdd and then put in the new ssd; use the recovery disks to start the restore process.

2. if you wished to have a fresh windows install:
a) if you want a UEFI install, find a computer and convert the ssd into GPT disk; pull out the hdd, and replace it with the converted new ssd, use a windows install disk or usb stick and continue.

b) if you want a BIOS install, pull out the hdd, and replace it with the new ssd, use a windows install disk or usb stick and continue.

if everything is up, shut the laptop down and put in your hdd into the secondary bay.

Wolffie80
Level 10
I dont think he will get this prosse to work. not with a 120gb disc. Stock install is bigger (in the way it is spread out on a bigger area on the disc that is unmovable)
this will make the image larger then 120gb (i`we tryed several times myself)
So endeed up makin a fresh install. and this take less time. gives a better result and has no problems 🙂
So i would deff recomend a fresh install 🙂
have linked a "how to" earlier 😉
good luck
Asus G75VW-T1031V
Intel Core i7-3610QM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 670M
8 GB 1600mhz
HDD#1 -> SSD OCZ Agility3 240gb
HDD#2 -> 750gb HDD 7200rpm
HDD#3 -> 320gb WD 5200rpm (external drive mounted on back of screen with ducktape! NOT :D)

rewben
Level 13
oh ok, i am not aware of the limit issue due to disk size. previously i helped a friend to do the factory restore and it worked on a 240gb ssd 😕