cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A little over 60GB of my C drive has disappeared, to what?

Delano_888
Level 7
I have gotten a lot of help on this forum before, and I hope you guys can help me with this as well.
I have a 120GB SSD drive (111 real) for windows and applications. No games.
-My windows folder is 20GB.
-My program files folders are about 8GB together.
-The rest of the folders on this drive are <1GB together.
So that would be 29GB used of 111. However it shows 93.5GB used.
WHAT? Where did all that space go?
There are no more folders or files which can have filled up more then 29GB in explorer! There just isn't anything else.
What happened here and how do I fix it?
Also, disc cleanup only found 600kb to clean.

Edit: enabled hidden folders, found "ProgramData" which is <4GB. Still this should be 33GB total, tot 93.
Edit2: select all folders in C (with hidden files & folders enabled), properties of everything together shows 32,2 GB.
Edit3: title should be 60GB, not 100, sorry, tried edit but didn't work on title.

Screen for proof:
http://i.imgur.com/3IIK3.png
13 REPLIES 13

xeromist
Have you disabled swap & hibernation? Those take a lot of space and they take more if you have a lot of memory installed.

Also, when you do disk cleanup make sure that you clean up system files as well. Service pack files & such can take up a lot of space and it's not like you're going to roll back a service pack once it's installed.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Have you disabled swap & hibernation? Those take a lot of space and they take more if you have a lot of memory installed.

Also, when you do disk cleanup make sure that you clean up system files as well. Service pack files & such can take up a lot of space and it's not like you're going to roll back a service pack once it's installed.

I do have 32GB of ram so yeah, I just found out hibernate uses 75% of the amount of ram you have for hibernate, so that would explain 24GB. Still 34 unexplained. I turned of hibernate, will now reboot and see of 24 comes back. Could you give me a small explanation of what swap is/does?

Edit: turned off hibernate via cmd so file is also gone, turned of swap. Now I have only 37GB used. That's more like it! Awesome!

Now hibernate I will never use anyway. But what disadvantages does it have that I disabled swap?

Chino
Level 15
I'm guessing the other 34GB is being used by Windows Restore. I disabled it. But if you don't mind it writing constantly to your SSD or afraid you might need to use system restore someday you can leave it on. Just delete some of the restore points and you should get some of your space back.

Chino wrote:
I'm guessing the other 34GB is being used by Windows Restore. I disabled it. But if you don't mind it writing constantly to your SSD or afraid you might need to use system restore someday you can leave it on. Just delete some of the restore points and you should get some of your space back.

You understood it wrong. Disabling hibernate & swap got me back all my space. I now have 37GB used of which I can find 34GB in explorer. That works for me. I now am just wondering if disabling swap is a bad thing. I do have 32GB ram though so should I even need swap at all?

xeromist
Unlikely you need it. Disabling swap means that it doesn't have certain error logging capabilities and possibly some poorly designed applications might freak with no swap but I think that issue is more a thing of the past. No swap means that if you ever exceed 32GB you will have issues but I really don't think you're going to be exceeding it even under the heaviest of usage.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Delano_888
Level 7
Thanks for the help guys!

Area_66
Level 11
Wow , hibernate and swap was using 60 GB..... this is more than I ever experience

Area 66 wrote:
Wow , hibernate and swap was using 60 GB..... this is more than I ever experience

My 32GB ram probably caused swap and hibernate to be bigger.