cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question on GPU's

Zero_Cool
Level 7
I am considering two different GPU's for my upcoming build and would like some input on which one would be better for my gaming rig. The GPU's in question are the EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB and the MSI Twin Frozr GeForce GTX 680 4GB/OC. I will be using the ASUS Maximus V FORMULA motherboard the Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge CPU with
G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 RAM. Any feedback would be most helpful.
25 REPLIES 25

TenBlade
Level 11
The Twin Frozr would be my choise, I have my evil eye fixated on that board too ;). The 4 Gb will only come into play if you´re gaming on multiple monitors with high AA. If for single monitor, it´s a lot of money to throw at a card.
The EVGA card clocks slightly higher than the MSI, but it´s more expensive (on my end, at least). The EVGA has a simple stock cooling solution, it´ll keep it cool, but will be noisier than a dual fan setup. Eventually have a look at Gigabytes tri-fan GTX680 4gigz, be warned it´s very long, will it fit in your case?!

I'm pretty sure any graphics card will fit in the NZXT PHANTOM 820

TenBlade
Level 11
Just looked it up. The MSI is 27 cm, and the Gigabyte is 29,5 cm.

Zero_Cool
Level 7
The NZXT PHANTOM 820 has 333mm (13.1 in) graphics card clearance.

TenBlade
Level 11
Then you´re good to go 🙂 The Gigabyte clocks a little higher than, the MSI, and like 3 or 4 MHz slower than the EVGA, but would hardly make any difference, unless you´re benchmarking, and if so, I don´t know how high either of them clock even further. Prices vary around here, the Gigabyte was somewhat cheaper than the MSI, but now the MSI is cheaper, but prices on both of them has gone up about 20% from one day to the other?!
Wonder what makes the prices change like that, perhaps the recent storm that hit the US? Did something to affect supply, then driving prices world wide?!

Zero_Cool
Level 7
Here in the US, the EVGA is $449.99 the Gigabyte is $489.99 and the MSI is $529.99. I really want to stick to the 4GB model since I will be going with multiple monitors when I can afford them.

TenBlade
Level 11
Hmm, the EVGA is the most expensive of the three over here, about 50 bucks or so, but overall the cards right now are all 200$ more than the US price...
For three or four screens, a 4 gig card will be a safe bet. The new 680 cards with only 2 gigz are still quite capable for tri-screen surround, but who wants to scimp on AA?! 😉

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Also you could wait to see the price on the new ASUS GTX680 4GB - 2slot version...should be out soon, hopefully

Zero_Cool
Level 7
Hmmm, I like that idea 🙂