cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imdiate shut down at first start R4E

Death1908
Level 7
Hello! At first, please understand that my english isn't the best, it's not my mainlanguage...

I have a rampage 4 extreme with an 3930k on it.

Everytime when i put power on the psu and the mainboard leds light up and i push the ON button(or the start button doesn't matter)
The Pc starts up for a split second, when i push the ON button again nothing happens.
But when I take off every power from the psu until no led lights anymore and i give the power back and
push the one button everthings works fine and the pc boots up.
Can you please help me? Thank you

My bios version is 3103
My psu is new and testet and has more then enough power

Every connection to the board that can give power to it is connectet.
28 REPLIES 28

TenBlade
Level 11
Could be cpu heat protection that powers down the system, if your cooler isn´t doing a proper job.

Or perhaps your BIOS has a safety function where low CPU-fan rpm makes the cpu shut down. Does your CPU fan start up immediately? On my current (still non-ASUS) setup my CPU fan doesn´t start immediately, and it spins quite slowly in general (very efficient fan...), so I set the cut-off RPM value lower. But I´m not quite in ASUS-ROG country yet, got my board waiting under my desk, so I´m not sure if your BIOS has that feature. Check it out, mate.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I think you are doing very well, I doubt I could manage in a language that was not my own.

I am a little confused, when your power off your PSU you can start your PC?

Please try and explain more what it is that allows you to power up.

AND please do list all your hardware.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Not sure if you are referring to the double boot that the RIVE does when powering on for the first time after the power has been removed.

If you turn off the power to the PSU (and board), the first time you turn it on it switches off immediately.... and then should switch back on almost immediately again and boot. This is normal.

To hivizman: I switch the psu ON, then i press the ON button of my pc and it starts up for a splitsecond(really just a splitsecond)
After that i switch the psu OFF until every led no led lights anylonger.
Then i switch the psu ON, push the ON button of my pc and it boots well.
My System
R4E
I7 3930k
sapphire 7970
32gb gskill ripjaws
Transcend 720 ssd
Cpu cooler noctua N-HT1

I will try if it boots by itself when i push on and it 's just start for a splitsecond.
How long do i have to wait if everythings fine, until is should start by itself after it starts for a splitsecond?

Thanks to all for the fast answers!

Death1908 wrote:
To hivizman: I switch the psu ON, then i press the ON button of my pc and it starts up for a splitsecond(really just a splitsecond)
After that i switch the psu OFF until every led no led lights anylonger.
Then i switch the psu ON, push the ON button of my pc and it boots well.
My System
R4E
I7 3930k
sapphire 7970
32gb gskill ripjaws
Transcend 720 ssd
Cpu cooler noctua N-HT1

I will try if it boots by itself when i push on and it 's just start for a splitsecond.
How long do i have to wait if everythings fine, until is should start by itself after it starts for a splitsecond?

Thanks to all for the fast answers!

Hey buddy sorry to hear your problem with the PSU, and I do think that it would be a good idea to list your PSU too. If possible could you test out your current PSU on a different motherboard? Or borrow a different PSU to test with.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

The PSU is and ENERMAX Revolution 85+ with 920watt and ATX2.3

I don't know what it is that allows me to power up, it#s just that evertime i do the sequence:
power ON, push on, Power off, wait until no led lights,Power ON, push on
the Pc works

Death1908 wrote:
The PSU is and ENERMAX Revolution 85+ with 920watt and ATX2.3

I don't know what it is that allows me to power up, it#s just that evertime i do the sequence:
power ON, push on, Power off, wait until no led lights,Power ON, push on
the Pc works

Sounds like a rail pull-up from AC cycle issue or something deeper. When all power is drained from the board, the rails will not pull up to spec as fast as they would if there was some residual charge left in the decoupling capacitors. If any of the power good timings are not met, the board will not power on. This can be down to several things:

1) PSU is an early unit that was later revised. PSU vendors seldom list revision numbers - even though they do revise their units!
2) PSU has developed a fault, either faulty via design or simply aging badly. Stress tests aren't really suitable to conclude if a PSU is faulty or not.
3) A motherboard fault/incompatibility with the PSU or what Nodens suggested above. If you have any self powered USB hubs or are using monitors with USB hubs, unplug those cables and test also.

One common mistake people make with PSUs is to measure the rails using DMMs or worse still software. This is a very basic test that is insufficient to conclude if a PSU is faulty. Praz tested someone's PSU with an oscilloscope that was measuring fine with a DMM. With his scope he found it had over 2V of AC riding on the 3.3V rail! The user in question killed a board using that PSU and was thinking it was the board at fault. His DMM showed all the rails to be within "spec".

Hello!
Thank you all for all the answers, it's really nice from you!

I will test if the Board has any wrong connection to the case, mybe that's the Problem.

to Raja@ASUS:
I've testet the PSU with an PSU tester whitch hard uses(stress test) the supply and shows the volts
and nothing was wrong

I testet it with no usb's connected and just power to the nessesery connectors(GPU, and the board(every power connector))

I will test it with another psu (Be quiet dark power pro p8 1000watt) to see if anything changes

Thank you all, mybe we can find the Problem together

InnervateD
Level 10
My R4E, when you hit the main power switch on the POWER SUPPLY for the first time from an OFF POSITION, the immediate first time you turn on the computer, the computer will turn itself on as commanded by the power button on the computer case or the power button on the motherboard, and it'll immediately shutdown for a few seconds, and then it'll repower itself back on and everything works just fine and dandy.

But any time I turn on my computer from an OFF state but with the power supply switch left on the ON state after the first power on, it'll turn on just fine. Just not the first time after the Power Supply Switch is turned ON from an OFF state.

It hasn't been annoying to the point where I need to figure it out and have it fixed. I just figured it was something to do with the BIOS version which I haven't bothered fixing or if it was like that as a motherboard design.