cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW-DS72 keyboard replacement / backlight issues

EricSP
Level 7
So i recently purchased a G75VW this summer, the thing kept freezing so I sent it for repairs and they ended up giving me a new one. Now my newest issue is that the keyboard backlight does not function.

I did however recently updated to BIOS 210 and after that 221 and I've only noticed in the past 3 weeks that the backlight are not working. I downgraded back to the default bios and it does not seem to make a different. I also went ahead and reinstalled windows 7 64 bit ultimate OEM fresh with all the latest driver no cigar...

So I figured my laptop keyboard is shot and I feel replacing might fix the issue so I went to the asus estore and came across this:
😞
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5114

My question is, did someone here actually tried and swapped their keyboard with the one above and have the LEDs successfully work??

Eric
15 REPLIES 15

Pitcher1
Level 9
HI, when you change KB by yourself, you must be becarful to disassemble, you check two connecter must be pluging complete.

dstrakele
Level 14
Just to cover the bases, in your 3 posts on this issue, there is no mention of you trying Fn-F4 to turn ON the keyboard backlight after the BIOS flash. It is reported the backlight is turned OFF on completion of this process.

If you have tried this and it failed, does your keyboard backlight flash once for about a second during startup of your G75?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Just to cover the bases, in your 3 posts on this issue, there is no mention of you trying Fn-F4 to turn ON the keyboard backlight after the BIOS flash. It is reported the backlight is turned OFF on completion of this process.

If you have tried this and it failed, does your keyboard backlight flash once for about a second during startup of your G75?

Of course I tried the function key + F4 and no unfortunately it doesn't work, I'v had the G75VW-DS2 since early summer and it worked until recently. I think the error might of been caused after upgrade from the default FW to 210 but then again I reverted back to 209 and it doesn't make a difference. I also reprogrammed the computer with win7 ult not long ago, I didn't use UEFI to install the OS so I'm wondering if this could be causing the problem....

Things I've tried:

Reverting to defaut 209
Upgrading to 210
Upgrading to 221
Reinstalling the OS from scratch (no uefi)
Re-installing ATK package in all of those cases and trying to turn on the keyboard backlight using fn+f4...

no cigar

dstrakele wrote:

Negative, the keyboard backlight does not turn on nor flashes during the boot process, I might try just prying out the keyboard and reconnecting it just to see if it's the connector that is not in correctly.

I do have an external usb backlight keyboard and that one cuts off during the bios and goes back on...

Bran187
Level 9
When I upgarded my G55 to windows 8 the backlit keyboard stopped working. I reinstalled the ATK package which fixed the problem.

dstrakele
Level 14
It looks like you've isolated the problem to hardware. The cable that connects the keyboard backlight to power on the motherboard is quite fragile. I suspect it may be broken or poorly connected.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Does anybody knows how to remove the keyboard from my G75vw?

Fitipich wrote:
Does anybody knows how to remove the keyboard from my G75vw?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9KHrJKInmA
G75VW-DS73-3D | 670m 3GB | 32GB RAM | 1TB RAID-0 2 x 830 512GB SSD DualBoot | Killer-N 1103 WiFi

Guido7142
Level 7
I'm also having problems in my G74VW-BBK5 when I did a clean install of W8. The keyboard now does not even flash during boot, I'm going to check the connector but I think it is a driver issue. The Fn +F4/F3 do not even show any signs of trying to dim or turn on the keyboard lights. Also having issues with the on screen images of the other function keys like volume since they only show a visually poor windows bar and not the more aesthetically pleasing ROG on screen image. Any ideas ?
G75VW-BBK5 / i7 3610QM / 8GB RAM / OCZ Agility 3 SSD 120GB / GTX 660M