cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help required. =(

Hostility
Level 7
Ok, I have been building pc's for years, learning by doing/reading, never taken any classes (looking into it.)

Lets start with my parts...

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Extreme 1155
CPU: Intel 3770k - Cooling: Cooler Master (upgrading to watercooling before I overclock)
DIMM: G.Skill 32Gb PC-1866 4x8Gb sticks (16Gb will be RamDisk later)
GPU: nVidia GTX 680 x2 SLI (not installed as of now, working of CPU graphics)
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200w
CASE: HAF 932
SDD: Samsung 830 Series 256Gb (not installed)
HDD: Western Digital 2Tb (installed but no OS)

I put it together with minimal parts because I wanted to do a really good Memtest session. First thing I noticed was my memory was only reading 1333MHz, I know this is what its suppose to read. I think its suppose to read that until I choose an XMP profile, I am not completely sure. Anyways I ran 1 whole Memtest cycle just to see if I had any outstanding errors, I plan on doing about 8 cycles to be safe later but I wanted to see if there were any bad out of the packaging. It completed the cycle with no errors in 2 hours and I restarted my PC to fix my memory speed before I started doing the rest of the tests.

I found in the BIOS where I could choose XMP from a drop down menu and I clicked it and it showed my memory at 1866. I pressed f10 to save and restart and it just goes to a blank screen that says looking for signal and never comes back on. Looking at my board I get the Q-Code 55 which my manual says bad memory. I unplugged the PC, hit the reset CMOS button (awesome addition btw) and started it up. Saw a message that said bad overclock and went back into the bios and loaded optimized defaults.

Am I doing this wrong? Should I be putting in the timings myself instead of using an XMP profile? I know I am not the smartest when it comes to builds but I have never had any problems I couldn't fix and I read a lot about subjects before I attempt, but this one has me stumped. Please help.

Noobie Builder
25 REPLIES 25

TenBlade
Level 11
Did you enter latencies and voltage manually? I´d recommend that.
If that wasn´t it try booting with only one stick at a time, memtest to see if you have a faulty stick.

Chino
Level 15
Loading XMP profile is almost fool proof because it automatically configures all your timings and such. But there have been cases where the values from the XMP profile isn't correct. In such cases, you'd need to put the timings in manually.

kkn
Level 14
put in the volts that the memories needs, then the XMP profile mabye, trial and errors 🙂
try and mount one of the graphic cards in and see if that works?
i did use graphic card and not onboard when i booted up mine first time.

I will try these as soon as I wake up. Been up all night putting it together, and I am spent.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey there! Maybe have a look at this post for setting up manually. Different mother board but in general the process will be the same....If your BIOS has tweak mode select 1 not 2 and set RAM to 1866 not 2133 but the rest should be more or less useful....I hope.....http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24493-x79-ROG-Formula-IV-3820-BSOD-and-freezing-issues&p=18...

Ok, did each of the things you guys said with no luck. Between the described attempts below I loaded optimized defaults + saved and reset after each attempt.

First thing I did was to update my bios to the latest version from Asus website. No luck.

Second thing I did was to take out 2 of the DIMM's and set Ai Overclock Tuner to XMP and Profile 1, because I thought it could be that the profile is set for only 1 set of those DIMM"s not 2 sets. The PC didn't boot up after restart and my mobo Q-Code is showing 55 with no beep and no bios on screen.. "No Signal." Same thing happened with Profile 2.

Third thing I did was to set Ai Overclock Tuner to XMP and copied down all my timings and stuff.. which is only the primary because it puts the second and third timings on just "Auto." The voltage on the profile readout says 1.50v-1.25v and I tried that both at 1.5 and 1.55. After I saved and reset I did hear a beep and my mobo no longer showed Q-Code 55 but I got "Overclock Failed" message in post.

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=546

That is my memory, the timings are 10-11-10-30-2N-1.5V though when I load the profiles the 2N becomes 2. Not sure if that changes anything.

If anyone else has any ideas please let me know. If there is anything wrong with my parts I'd like to know now so I can RMA.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hehe that was an important detail you left out. Running two kits together can be problematic even if they are "the same". When you took out two sticks did you separate the kits by serial number? Try 1.6 or 1.65 Vdimm

Great info, I didn't know that. They are 2 seperate serials: 701, 702 and 679, 680. When I tested it I was using the 701, 702 just by chance so I tried just 1 kit not 2 seperate. I will try upping the volage a little.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Maybe you could try the other kit and see if that works better and maybe memtest them at the XMP rated settings. You did this for default settings I see and passed but maybe one or other kit/stick is failing at XMP level.

The SPD voltage is 1.5 but I think that may be for 1333 I would be surprised if 8GB sticks at 1866 didn't need 1.65V. If I were you I would set them up manually at that voltage and try them out.