cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Card Issue

Nomaad
Level 8
Hello.
When I built my Rig from scratch(about a 3 weeks ago) I used my old GTX 550ti as the graphics card for the time being, it had no problems, other than being old hardware.
Now, I went out and bought an ASUS GeForce GTX 660 TI yesterday, to finish off my rig, so everything is new and up to date.
It's made an immense improvement on my FPS since I have installed it, but I have one little issue that I can seem to resolve.
When I play games, when its dark enough in game, I can see grey horizontal lines appearing all over the screen, similar to an old TV with semi-bad reception. Its not impossible to play, but its very irritating.
This only seems to happen in some games. Blizzard games for example, WoW and Diablo 3, this doesn't happen at all, but for other games such as War Z, Xcom: Enemy Unknown, Dishonored and CS:GO, it does.
I've played around with settings in game and it doesn't seem to change it too much. In War Z I change the settings to Low and it seems to dull the Flickering a little, but its still noticeably there.
I've also played around with the nVidia settings and the refresh rate and all that but it still doesn't seem to want to go away.
I believe my monitors refresh rate is 60hz, but i'm not certain about that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Operating System
MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1
CPU
i7 Intel Processor @ 3.40GHz
RAM
16.0GB
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z77X-D3H (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz)
Graphics
E2351 @ 1920x1080
ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Hard Drives
977GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (IDE)
977GB Seagate ST31000528AS (IDE) 28 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24B3ST
Audio
High Definition Audio Device
16 REPLIES 16

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG boards, Nomaad!

Just a couple of questions.

What PSU are you using?

Did you uninstall your previous Nvidia Driver?

Hey Chino, thanks.
My PSU is the Corsair HX-1050 V2 80 PLUS
I didnt uninstall the the old drivers for the gtx550 TI, just assumed they were deleted once new drivers were installed, or overwritten.
Thank you for the reply

I'm also using a RGB cable, would I benefit from using a HDMI cable?

kkn
Level 14
RGB = not good cable at all.
go whit DVI or HDMI if your monitor have that connection option.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi there! 🙂 What monitor do you have....what resolution is your monitor and which cable are you using to connect the new card....DVI? RGB I don't recognise is this via an adapter of some sort. Same cable and monitor that work with the 550 right?

Are you running PCIe 3.0 in BIOS or enabled in OS?

kkn
Level 14
RGB is the old monitor type connector.

Hey kkn, thanks for the info, I can use an HDMI cable so I'll go out tomorrow and purchase one of those.

To Arne Saknussemm, my monitor is a LG E2251T 21.5in Widescreen LED, as above, im using an old RGB cord with a DVI adapter to connect the two together. The graphics card is in the PCI 3.0 slot, just assumed it would work alone being there, do i have to enable it somehow?

Thank you for all your replys

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The BIOS will have PCIe 3.0 enabled by default but the card will not run at 3.0 unless you do the "Hack" http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?22805-GTX-680-PCIe-3.0-amp-Rampage-Mobo&highlight=pcie+3.0

Sometimes changing PCIe 3.0 to 2.0 in BIOS eliminates problems but I reckon your adapter cable combo is the problem here. HDMI will be much better. Or DVI or display port...if you monitor supports them try one of those.

Alright i'll go get this cable tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. The old card didnt need the adapter either so i can see how it might be a problem.
Should iI uninstall old drivers like Chico said?