Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Igb View Post
    You, sir, made my day. Many thanks.

Tried in the last pciex x16 slot, and now the noise is gone. The bad part is that one of my graphics cards is running @8x (i know is not a noticeable loss, but anyways having different bandwidths in a multigpu setup is always a possible source of stuttering)

Had some artifacts in my screen tho, but was a bad contact on the cable (got scared anyways, fixing a thing to break another xDD)

Many thanks again, and best regards.

PS. A note in the manual of the phoebus suggesting this will be really appreciated, i suggest to include it at least in future revisions, it can save lots of time to users like me not having depth knowledge about this behaviour
    Glad I could help you

Hope some more people hear about this problem and ASUS actually does something about this and make a notice in manual or whatever indeed.

Happy gaming!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Seems that i counted my chickens before they hatched.

The noise is gone... in idle.

And seems that what produces it is the traffic in the pciexpress bus of the second card (the one that shares bandwith tish the last slot). The noise does not appear if i run furmark with SLI disabled, that means only 1st gpu used. But... when the second card is loaded the noise is there at almost the same level...

I want to try the pciex x1 slot, but i can physically acess to it because of the heatsink of my second card :S

Any other suggestions? I am still very grateful to hingj0n for helping me to find the problem... now i am looking for a definite solution

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

There are pci-e cables especially made for unaccessible slots.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Glasofruix View Post
    There are pci-e cables especially made for unaccessible slots.
    Many thanks, after a bit research i ordered a pcie x1->x1 flexible extender, will see how i can adapt it. In the meantime...

The best result i've got so far is with mic plugged to integrated audio card. I will try to connect the additional pciex power connector for the pciex bus (although RIVE manual states is not necessary if not pluging 4 graphics cards i hope it can bring some stability here) and to switch the sound card to the only slot i have not tried yet (the second red slot, @x8) but i think the noise in this case will come from the first GPU

Will post my findings

ROG Enthusiast Array

Problem fixed

The real vast improvement was connecting the pciex power connector for the pciex bus, seems that with only 2 cards still needs that extra "juice" to supress correctly that electric noise.

In RIVE's manual it states that is only neccesary when plugging 4 graphics cards... I'd say is quite advisable in any case, specially when audio is involved, and even more with another top-tier component (of same manufacturer) showing problems otherwise.

Now i have one more time my gpu's @x16, sound card in black 8x slot, and a clean mic input (if i don't put a too high volume, upping it over 23-25db brings back the noise, but it's not a big deal as it already is loud enough)

Many Thanks, and really hope Asus takes notes of the suggestions, if it's not possible to fix the problem (seems really hard at this stage) at least noting them in both manuals will be a very good point

Quote Originally Posted by Igb View Post
    Problem fixed

The real vast improvement was connecting the pciex power connector for the pciex bus, seems that with only 2 cards still needs that extra "juice" to supress correctly that electric noise.

In RIVE's manual it states that is only neccesary when plugging 4 graphics cards... I'd say is quite advisable in any case, specially when audio is involved, and even more with another top-tier component (of same manufacturer) showing problems otherwise.

Now i have one more time my gpu's @x16, sound card in black 8x slot, and a clean mic input (if i don't put a too high volume, upping it over 23-25db brings back the noise, but it's not a big deal as it already is loud enough)

Many Thanks, and really hope Asus takes notes of the suggestions, if it's not possible to fix the problem (seems really hard at this stage) at least noting them in both manuals will be a very good point
    Audio cards are very sensitive indeed, to the smallest electrical distortions, what I get from what you are saying is that you inserted another cable into your motherboard for extra power on the PCI-e bus?

Glad your problem is gone btw

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by hingj0n View Post
    Audio cards are very sensitive indeed, to the smallest electrical distortions, what I get from what you are saying is that you inserted another cable into your motherboard for extra power on the PCI-e bus?

Glad your problem is gone btw
    Yes, that's exactly what i did. I already had the upper EPS and ATX connectors filled (for the processor), i don't know why didn't discarded this at first...

Pobably because I never thought it was neccessary with 2 graphics cards, but it seems i were wrong. Seems also quite ilogical how a "just decent" integrated sound card deals better with the unclean bus than a very good sound card with direct power from the psu (maybe because the chipset is in the middle or because of the non-shared IRQ's? I don't know, It uses a logical pcie connection after all, right?)

Truth be told, also expected it to perform better than my old SB X-fi Titanium (what it does, but not with this noise, it was unexistant with my old soundcard, but it gave me not few problems, i think now i can finally say that i made a change for the better)

Well, glad this problem can be fixed with some people, in my instance I don't have an other slot to insert my graphics card in it, I have a crappy motherboard :S. Think I'll buy an ROG Mobo in the future dunno yet.

It's always preferrable to give the motherboard extra power when you can do that, it will give you the stablest way to deal with this "crap" even when you don't really need it. A integrated sound card does not take power/data from the PCI-e bus, but the whole PCI-e lane is powered by that chip, so, I think that that is the most explainable way for this problem.

However, I did not hear if this problem also occured on the Xonar Essence STX (pci-e). I'm curious if it is present on that card too.

ROG Member Array

I have the same problem, I have a rampage iv extreme and I tried to connect the card to both the x1 and x16 slots at the bottom and I also connected the pcie power cable to the ez_plug port, I also noticed that it doesn't happen if I use the rog mic

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Brandhor View Post
    I have the same problem, I have a rampage iv extreme and I tried to connect the card to both the x1 and x16 slots at the bottom and I also connected the pcie power cable to the ez_plug port, I also noticed that it doesn't happen if I use the rog mic
    Same problem here with Asus Sabertooth X79, Asus GTX 680 SLI and Asus Xonar Phoebus soundcard. ROG box microphone seem to cancel a lot of that interference or it is different, but it is still there with high volume. Annoying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2