cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with apple products connect to Asus EA-N66

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi

It's been a long time since I was last here and seek some help for a friend on this issue.

I was wondering if any of you have the same problem as my friend is experiencing with WiFi connection problem on apple products.
He bought an Asus EA-N66 to expend the internet signal in his house, and the N66 works fine on other devices that is not produced by Apple (and a big laugh from be because I'm not an fan of Apple 😛 ).
Does anyone know about any suggestions on how to fix this or experiencing the same issue?

This is the WiFi adapter I'm talking about: http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Adapters/EAN66/

Latest firmware is installed on this product, and he is still having issues with the connections.

Please excuse me for my english since this is not my native language.
(and if this is the wrong thread, please move it to the right one) 🙂

Best regards
Stian André 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205
10 REPLIES 10

Area_66
Level 11
I have only problems with my Apple product mix with the rest, I finally have to install them on a second router. I have not investigate too much the problem, but when a iPad, iPhone or iPod , was connected to my router my ping in BF3 was rising from 33 to 999 making the game not playable, also browsing on other PCs was nearly impossible, since I have another router, I simply create a sub net and a second wi-fi connection with a different channel specially for the Apple stuff. But i read many post there and there about this issue

If you friend don't find solution he can purchase a second router or a AP ( access point ) and configure the wi-fi of this one for the Apple stuff like I did. We talk about a $ 40-60 fix to the problem.

fuzon1337
Level 10
Thank you for your reply @Area66

I was the one who told him to buy the Asus N66 so he could use it as an Access point or as a WiFi repeater or like an antenna. But I didn't know that he was going to use that device to connect his iphone and ipad on it.

His computer and Laptop connects fine to it, what I mean about that is that he can connect the Laptop to N66 and get better WiFi signals by using the device as an wifi repeater.
But when he tries to connect with his apple devices, either the phone or tablet won't let him open any websites as I could understand from him.

And I thought Apple would work on any Wireless adapters 😛

About your experience with your ping, that I actually did know, and it's really weird :S
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

cl-scott
Level 12
fuzon1337 wrote:
Hi

It's been a long time since I was last here and seek some help for a friend on this issue.

I was wondering if any of you have the same problem as my friend is experiencing with WiFi connection problem on apple products.
He bought an Asus EA-N66 to expend the internet signal in his house, and the N66 works fine on other devices that is not produced by Apple (and a big laugh from be because I'm not an fan of Apple 😛 ).
Does anyone know about any suggestions on how to fix this or experiencing the same issue?

This is the WiFi adapter I'm talking about: http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Adapters/EAN66/

Latest firmware is installed on this product, and he is still having issues with the connections.

Please excuse me for my english since this is not my native language.
(and if this is the wrong thread, please move it to the right one) 🙂

Best regards
Stian André 🙂

They SHOULD work with essentially any router so I would tend to assume that there's probably something wrong with the way he is configuring his Apple devices that is causing the problem. At least at the moment, it seems more likely that since the Windows devices work, it's just that maybe he's not as familiar with how to configure networking on iOS, or maybe the password isn't being entered right, the encryption isn't set properly, something along those lines. Maybe have him go back and set the password on the router to something very simple, just for testing purposes naturally, and then try connecting the iPad or whatever.

cl-scott wrote:
They SHOULD work with essentially any router so I would tend to assume that there's probably something wrong with the way he is configuring his Apple devices that is causing the problem. At least at the moment, it seems more likely that since the Windows devices work, it's just that maybe he's not as familiar with how to configure networking on iOS, or maybe the password isn't being entered right, the encryption isn't set properly, something along those lines. Maybe have him go back and set the password on the router to something very simple, just for testing purposes naturally, and then try connecting the iPad or whatever.

Hmm, he can connect his Apple devices on his router. But not on Asus EA-N66 3-in-1 AP/Wi-Fi Bridge/ Range Extender.
The setup on that device is set as range extender so he could get better signals on from the ruter. But when he is close to the router he can access internet without any problems, but for some reasons he cannot pick up the signals from the Asus EA-N66 range extender.

So in his room he gets one bar on the signal notification (on the apple devices) and with the range extender in his room it works with Microsoft devices.

But, I asked him if he had tried the access point, and he didn't so I'll let you know if that works better then the range extender mode 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

fuzon1337 wrote:
Hmm, he can connect his Apple devices on his router. But not on Asus EA-N66 3-in-1 AP/Wi-Fi Bridge/ Range Extender.
The setup on that device is set as range extender so he could get better signals on from the ruter. But when he is close to the router he can access internet without any problems, but for some reasons he cannot pick up the signals from the Asus EA-N66 range extender.

So in his room he gets one bar on the signal notification (on the apple devices) and with the range extender in his room it works with Microsoft devices.

But, I asked him if he had tried the access point, and he didn't so I'll let you know if that works better then the range extender mode 🙂

I don't typically support routers, but looking at the product page, it looks like you can switch between 2.4 and 5GHz bands. I don't know which, if any, of Apple's devices support 5GHz wifi, so another thing to try might be to make sure that it's set to 2.4GHz. At least for testing. If they can then pick up the signal, we're that much closer to the solution.

Area_66
Level 11
Ok so your problem is not the same as mine, if you can connect to the router and can't browse the net, it look like a DNS problem,
you have to make sure to use DHCP setting on the iSomething , and check on the setting the DNS as to be your router address , of course your router are to be set to DHCP ...

here and example on my son iPod note the word PC-Quebec my network, if you don't have this kind of info , it'S because ou not even connected to your wi-fi router, but if you connected m make sure the DNS is the same adress as the router

Area 66 wrote:
Ok so your problem is not the same as mine, if you can connect to the router and can't browse the net, it look like a DNS problem,
you have to make sure to use DHCP setting on the iSomething , and check on the setting the DNS as to be your router address , of course your router are to be set to DHCP ...

here and example on my son iPod note the word PC-Quebec my network, if you don't have this kind of info , it'S because ou not even connected to your wi-fi router, but if you connected m make sure the DNS is the same adress as the router

Okay, I will tell him, if the access point mode doesn't work either 🙂

The access point mode could not be used since he had to connect the Asus device to network cable.... and that is not an option atm.

He's going to become a ROG member soon, so he will tell some more about this.

I'm going to bed, cya tomorrow 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Good Call cl-scott, I just looked that up in my Tech App and as far as I can see the only i-Product that supports the 5ghz is the New iPhone 5 and the iPad Mini but the notes also state not all Products has this and is limited to Country...ie: USA, China, Korea, Japan Bla Bla... I would imagine that he's using an older version that only supports 2.4ghz...Heck not even Airport is made for 5ghz yet.

TL
Level 7
Did he tried playing around with Wi-Fi channels(1-11) yet?