Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array chiilin PC Specs
    chiilin PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus ROG G75VW
    MotherboardAsus Maximus IX Code
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake @ 5050MHz (OC 20%)
    Memory (part number)32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (16GB X 2) (F4-3200C16D-32GVK)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
    Monitor2-each Asus VG248QE
    Storage #1Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Storage #2Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe
    CPU CoolerArctic Liquid Freezer 240 CPU Cooler
    CaseCooler Master Mastercase Pro 5
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 850W G2
    Headset/Speakers Astro A50 Wireless Headphones
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
    Network RouterNETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Router (R8000)

Quote Originally Posted by mrwolf View Post
    lol i dont know about you guys, but i always overclock my G75 highhly when playing games and my temps when playin Ps2 for example hit like 75-80 depending on how long i play.. So i needed a solution and found that drilling holes into the back cover where the main fans are helped alot ! Before when i was getting 75+ temps, now it wont even go over 70 ..
    But i highly reccomend adding some custom filters in there if you decide to do this as the dust will ruin ur system over time.. Oh ye and also it voids warranty

Now i can do some hardcore gaming fully OC'd mack it outt

I'm just offering some "off the top of my head" thoughts about your drilling of holes where you did. So, just my thoughts: I'm thinking that possibly you may not be getting as good of results as you think. Well maybe you are on your GPU, if it is showing that it now runs 5-degrees cooler, assuming the device that actually measures the GPU temp is really located on the GPU or very close to it (I'm not sure how they measure it, maybe you do). They may measure the temp somewhere else in the case and then extrapolate what the GPY temp "should" be based on the temp is where they are measuring it; IDK.

But this is my point: we know that the hot expelled air exits the rear of the G75. So, the unheated cool air needs to enter ahead of any heated elements (CPU and GPU heatsinks); pick up heat from them, and then expel out the rear. I'm guessing that drilling holes where you did will introduce cooler air directly to the fan, then blow right out the back of the G75 before passing by the hot elements. In this case it wouldn't help, and could actually hurt as now less suction and therefore air will pass by the GPU and CPU to cool them.

I'm not saying one way or another because I don'tknow the exact airflow patterns inside the G75, or what method they use to report the temperatures; I'm just suggesting some food for thought to you (or anyone else contemplating this). There might be a good reason for this to void the warranty.
    Last edited by chiilin; 11-16-2012 at 10:56 PM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

I understand where your coming from.

But there is something called heatsink please go to the below link to see the inside of the G75

http://computerupgradeking.com/wiki/...ssembly_Manual

i'm 99% sure that only the CPU and GPU needs cooling in a laptop and the cooling is done by cooling the heatsink attached ( connected or whatever you want to cal it ) to these components of course not forgetting the heatsink compound which plays a big role conducting the heat.

So conclusion cool up the heatsinks = cooling the components = cooler CPU, GPU = better performance overall = more room for OC = Gr8 success

Thank you

ROG Guru: White Belt Array chiilin PC Specs
    chiilin PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus ROG G75VW
    MotherboardAsus Maximus IX Code
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake @ 5050MHz (OC 20%)
    Memory (part number)32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (16GB X 2) (F4-3200C16D-32GVK)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
    Monitor2-each Asus VG248QE
    Storage #1Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Storage #2Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe
    CPU CoolerArctic Liquid Freezer 240 CPU Cooler
    CaseCooler Master Mastercase Pro 5
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 850W G2
    Headset/Speakers Astro A50 Wireless Headphones
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
    Network RouterNETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Router (R8000)

StereoROG: was that comment about the heat-sinks directed at me due to my comment about mrwolf's drilled holes?

You're right that the CPU and GPU are by far the biggest heat generators inside the case, and they are cooled by their [properly] pasted on heatsinks. The more [cooler] air you can pass by the heatsink fins the cooler your system will be. My only point with mrwolf is whether his drilled holes really causes more cool air to pass by the heatsinks, or not.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by StereoROG View Post
    I understand where your coming from.

But there is something called heatsink please go to the below link to see the inside of the G75

http://computerupgradeking.com/wiki/...ssembly_Manual

i'm 99% sure that only the CPU and GPU needs cooling in a laptop and the cooling is done by cooling the heatsink attached ( connected or whatever you want to cal it ) to these components of course not forgetting the heatsink compound which plays a big role conducting the heat.

So conclusion cool up the heatsinks = cooling the components = cooler CPU, GPU = better performance overall = more room for OC = Gr8 success

Thank you

Forgetting about voltage regulators? Chip set and other stuff?

Cooling will only improve performance if your system is throttling its self from heat. If not it wont do anything. It wont give you any extra life on your components unless your running them at 90c for years at a time. Remember most of the components were exposed to about 140c temp when they were made for about 4-5min .

And more overclocking? Maybe if you got a cpu with a unlocked multi because the G75 wont pull over 110mhz on a good day and any laptop's stock cooling can cool that. Even crapple with their tiny heatsinks.

How do I keep mine cool...? Don't game?

@mrwolf's design will help. The fans are right under there, though it does mean that air will not be drawn in over the RAM and HDD, which can make the HDD warmer (unless he has an SSD). Some of the G-series notebooks take in air from the speaker grille on top, so keep that in mind.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array mrwolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chiilin View Post
    I never heard of these until I saw your post here along with the picture. Cool looking mouse! I've researched them a bit since seeing this and I find that apparently the newest one is the RAT 9. Or maybe it isn't the newest, IDK, but it is wireless. Have you heard anything, good or bad, about this RAT 9?

(Sorry for hijacking the thread)
    I havnt heard much about the rat 9 but i believe it is just as good but wireless.. I was gonna get that as i thought i was newer but apparently it exactly the same as the rat 7 but wireless.. since i have a laptop i kind prefer a wired one rather than a big wireless hub on my table lol.. Good mouse tho

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkmnrd View Post
    Yeah I thought the design was the same for all of the g series laptop. With this in mind, does this mean that cooling pads don't help?
    I tried my student's Antec dual-fan pad once with my G74. It made eseentially no difference in CPU temps; maybe dropped it by 1 degree, but the fluctuations in its temperature over an hour were the same so if there was a drop it was statistically insignificant. I wouldn't bother with a cooling pad for the G74.
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Quote Originally Posted by fostert View Post
    I tried my student's Antec dual-fan pad once with my G74. It made eseentially no difference in CPU temps; maybe dropped it by 1 degree, but the fluctuations in its temperature over an hour were the same so if there was a drop it was statistically insignificant. I wouldn't bother with a cooling pad for the G74.
    That is about what I experienced. Probably because most of the airflow comes from the speaker grille on the top of the notebook, where the fan doesn't help.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Yes my comment was attended to you.

i guess drilling holes make a slight difference, but only if you want to throw your warranty away to gain 5 to 10 degree Celsius.

Red in another forum a guy drilled and custom made a fan pad.

Anyway thanks for your patience on this matter.

Cheers,

Thats why your an orange belt, if we were debating i would be on my knees begging for mercy :P

You said it all bro.

Cheers,

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast