cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Wi-Fi Will Not Connect

superiorjt
Level 7
I decided to update my laptop to windows 8 and I updated all of the drivers. The only issue I have so far is that I cannot connect to my secured WEP Access Point. I have tried many different drivers, but when I try to connect all I get is "Can't connect to this network."

It did not even reach the point to where it asks for a password. Is there a way to make this work, or has ASUS failed to supply me the correct drivers? I checked the Atheros website for driver downloads and they do not even have the model on their website that is in this laptop. I find this surprising because I just bought this 2 months ago.

I have ran the troubleshooter multiple times and, after reading the network log, it seems that the problem occurs when trying to match the router settings to what is saved on the computer. This definitely confuses me considering I erased all of the wi-fi profiles when I uninstalled the original driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18

Quasimodem
Level 10
superiorjt wrote:
I decided to update my laptop to windows 8 and I updated all of the drivers. The only issue I have so far is that I cannot connect to my secured WEP Access Point. I have tried many different drivers, but when I try to connect all I get is "Can't connect to this network."

It did not even reach the point to where it asks for a password. Is there a way to make this work, or has ASUS failed to supply me the correct drivers? I checked the Atheros website for driver downloads and they do not even have the model on their website that is in this laptop. I find this surprising because I just bought this 2 months ago.

I have ran the troubleshooter multiple times and, after reading the network log, it seems that the problem occurs when trying to match the router settings to what is saved on the computer. This definitely confuses me considering I erased all of the wi-fi profiles when I uninstalled the original driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Do you know your WiFi password?

Start => Control Panel => Network and Internet => Network and Sharing Center => Manage Wireless Networks

Right click on your network and hit remove

Try to reconnect, it will prompt you for the password
G75VW-DS73-3D | 670m 3GB | 32GB RAM | 1TB RAID-0 2 x 830 512GB SSD DualBoot | Killer-N 1103 WiFi

Quasimodem
Level 10
If that doesn't work, hard connect to your router, and change its settings to WPA2-PSK
G75VW-DS73-3D | 670m 3GB | 32GB RAM | 1TB RAID-0 2 x 830 512GB SSD DualBoot | Killer-N 1103 WiFi

If I was in a situation where I ran the network for the household, I would do that within a heartbeat, but sadly I cannot. I live at my grandparents house and my grandfather does not want to change the network security because it would effect every single device in the household. Is there any solution that can be done on my end? This worked perfectly fine with Windows 7.

superiorjt wrote:
If I was in a situation where I ran the network for the household, I would do that within a heartbeat, but sadly I cannot. I live at my grandparents house and my grandfather does not want to change the network security because it would effect every single device in the household. Is there any solution that can be done on my end? This worked perfectly fine with Windows 7.

I've completely disabled my Metro UI so I'm unsure of what to tell you to click, but if the troubleshooting wizard is reporting that the saved settings don't match the router, then the computer has settings saved for that network that are corrupted. Try to access the classic Control Panel. In the Network and Sharing Center, on the left click Manage Wireless Networks... It will list all saved networks... See if yours is listed, and if it is, right click it and hit remove... Then try to reconnect to it...

How do I access classic control panel? With the default one I get to the network and sharing center but I do not see an option for managing networks.

superiorjt wrote:
How do I access classic control panel? With the default one I get to the network and sharing center but I do not see an option for managing networks.

Wow that definately has been removed from WIndows 8... Give me a few seconds, I'll find the fix...

Try this:

http://nicolask.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/manually-create-the-manage-wireless-networks-shortcut/

Great idea and I want it to work, but for some reason when I double click the shortcut nothing happens. just a brief loading cursor and then nothing.

superiorjt wrote:
Great idea and I want it to work, but for some reason when I double click the shortcut nothing happens. just a brief loading cursor and then nothing.

Same here... I just tried it... It only worked with previous version... It appears yet another WIndows 8 flaw has surfaced... have you looked at the second link I posted?