cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW-AH71 - Preconfigured Windows 8 & Cloning to SSD FTL

kevz155
Level 7
I have been trying to get Windows 8 installation on to a 256GB SSD(ADATA SX900) vs the 750GB Hitachi HDD that came shipped with the system. It wasn't until I checked the forums that confirmed recovery disks creation is not an option for systems shipped with Windows 8. Windows 8 however has an option to create recovery media onto a pen drive which I did.

So here is my current problem. With no option to perform a clean install, I had used 3rd party cloning software and had successfully cloned my System drive onto the SSD from another computer. Loading the SSD ran everything successfully, Windows 8 booted up and I had managed to install some games on it before finding out, the Windows 8 Live Tiles/Metro UI App no longer work. Clicking to open any App native for the new Start Menu just opens the App, and bounce right back out to Start Menu. Tabbing to the App just shows the App metro icon screen and bounce back out.

With this problem, I had decided to do a factory restore/reset from Windows 8 and also from the aforementioned recovery pen drive. This has all but ended in failure with messages along the lines of "a required partition is missing" etc. or there was an error.

Since for the original 750GB HDD, I had deleted the original System Partition and Data Partition(keeping the Recovery 20GB and other partitions intact), replacing the Hitachi Hard drive also gave me "a required partition is missing when attempting to restore from the drive itself and also with the recovery pen drive.

It seems right now I am in desperate need of a Restore Windows 8 Disk/DVD from Asus in order to do a clean install onto the SSD which I had originally intended. Or does anyone know of a fix to get the Metro UI Apps working again? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. If ASUS sees this. The G75VW-AH71 online states it comes with 670GTX 3GB graphics but mine was shipped with 660GTX 2GB... Please let me know if this was a mistake on either ASUS's end or Amazon not posting correct information... Also, if you are in the market for the G75VW, stay away from Windows 8 as it is somewhat premature in support
22 REPLIES 22

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Try running sfc /scannow in Adm CMD.
Run the "system file checker", and see if can fix any system file inconsistencies.
maybe that can fix your start screen app problem.

hope this works for you......good luck.

GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

netossc
Level 7
Then I received yesterday a G75VW-NH71, and as always make recovery discs re them (I sell on mercadolibre here in Brazil) when I try to do that this model already comes with Windows 8, I came across the problem it does not have AI Recovery, did some research and found right here in the forum, saying that those models that come with windows 8 does not have the AI Recovery, I downloaded the recovery and installed it on the net, he did not find the partition recovery, did procedure in run changeHD.exe still did not work, after some testing could proceed and select the option to generate the dvd iso format, but gave error in the beginning, my exit was using acronis and take a complete copy (with all partitions) and then follow the steps in the manual that came with your notebook, explaining how to pass the recovery on it, put the windows he made a mistake, so I went by pressing F9 when you connect your notebook, there did the recovery that took about 40 minutes, I did complete, he returned to the original factory, leaving me ready to send to the prospective client, in your case, I believe that only a clean installation of Windows 8 could solve, the problem is that I realized that at the underside of the note no longer has the Windows license as possessed in windows 7, then you will have to use some program to get the serial number of your windows and then use it on a new installation from scratch, or from F9 try to achieve full recovery him take a picture with all of the HD partitions again (this time complete with all partitions) consulted on the asus site and while they still do not sell the media recovery with Windows 8, only with WIndows 7, try not to lose your serial number windows 8. I hope I helped in something.

kevz155 wrote:
I have been trying to get Windows 8 installation on to a 256GB SSD(ADATA SX900) vs the 750GB Hitachi HDD that came shipped with the system. It wasn't until I checked the forums that confirmed recovery disks creation is not an option for systems shipped with Windows 8. Windows 8 however has an option to create recovery media onto a pen drive which I did.

So here is my current problem. With no option to perform a clean install, I had used 3rd party cloning software and had successfully cloned my System drive onto the SSD from another computer. Loading the SSD ran everything successfully, Windows 8 booted up and I had managed to install some games on it before finding out, the Windows 8 Live Tiles/Metro UI App no longer work. Clicking to open any App native for the new Start Menu just opens the App, and bounce right back out to Start Menu. Tabbing to the App just shows the App metro icon screen and bounce back out.

With this problem, I had decided to do a factory restore/reset from Windows 8 and also from the aforementioned recovery pen drive. This has all but ended in failure with messages along the lines of "a required partition is missing" etc. or there was an error.

Since for the original 750GB HDD, I had deleted the original System Partition and Data Partition(keeping the Recovery 20GB and other partitions intact), replacing the Hitachi Hard drive also gave me "a required partition is missing when attempting to restore from the drive itself and also with the recovery pen drive.

It seems right now I am in desperate need of a Restore Windows 8 Disk/DVD from Asus in order to do a clean install onto the SSD which I had originally intended. Or does anyone know of a fix to get the Metro UI Apps working again? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. If ASUS sees this. The G75VW-AH71 online states it comes with 670GTX 3GB graphics but mine was shipped with 660GTX 2GB... Please let me know if this was a mistake on either ASUS's end or Amazon not posting correct information... Also, if you are in the market for the G75VW, stay away from Windows 8 as it is somewhat premature in support

anyone know how i can retrieve the product key from my now only bootable SSD with the cloned windows 8?

I don't understand what the meaning of creating a recovery pen drive when "a required partition is missing" would pop rendering the restore useless. I had removed the original C drive and D drive partition, any idea how i can create a partition table to emulate how it came shipped?

the windows key should be on the sticker at the back of your laptop; some put it behind the battery.

i'm not sure about how the recovery works in units with windows 8, but i think what you created with a pen drive is based on windows, not from ASUS.

edit: the recovery process is complex, involving a long scripted process to restore the partitions and all, including at some points the script assigns necessary and fixed id's to each partition to proceed, and at some points it will reassign the drive letters to allow OS to boot and recovery partition to work. but that's what happens in the windows 7-based recovery, not sure what's going on in your case 😕

rewben
Level 13
@kevz155, can you use this method to make the recovery partition to boot? double check your partition number first.

About the label that the friend said, the new models that already comes with windows 8 no longer comes with that label with the serial number windows, now comes only with the new logo of microsoft and model of notebook, also changed the way recovery by I realized that there were 2 before the one that every computer has microsoft and another specifically for the asus asus products, however now it seems that was built because the recovery made ​​by F9 enters the restoration of microsoft however when then initializes the recovery he gets the asus logo and takes a long time to be made​​, equal to the time when done with the recovery of windows 7 asus, it seems that the AI used in the old recovery was dropped and now is used in the microsoft using the recovery partition of 20GB, if you have Windows 8 running even if the cloned try the program with http://www.baixaki.com.br/download/windows-product-key-viewer.htm he can get the serial format but it does not come to zero and use the serial, do the following, get the serial with this program on your HD that cloned and then replace the HD format from scratch with Windows 8 uilizando this serial if accept it at installation then you can activate it by phone

Thanks for everyone's input. I ended up doing a clean install from a standard Windows 8 MSDN which I loaded onto the same pen drive. While my SSD was still bootable, I used Belarc's System Management to extract the product key as the key wasn't labeled on the bottom of the G75. To my surprise, no Windows 8 Product Key was needed during installation and after installation and checking the Windows System Properties page, the Windows Activation suffix matched what I had extracted.

Now I just need to load up the driver's and whatever needed software that came with the driver disk and pop the old 750GB hard drive back in. For anyone trying to load an SSD onto the new systems with Windows 8, I would advise them to do the same which is to get your hands on Windows 8 MSDN and have that copy for backup as this clean install will clear anything unnecessary out and have a nice install to work with. Hopefully I won't run into any driver issues when I load them later today.

Still kind of disappointed mine was shipped with 660GTX and not 670GTX...

Will let you guys know if drivers work out later.

I just looked on Amazon your model is listed with a 660
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

rewben
Level 13
i think you should contact the seller about the mis-matched GPU.