cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHV-Z replacing NB tim

Sniffy
Level 7
So after months of Intel I've decided I miss AMD and all the tweaking that goes with it 😞

I ordered an FX-8150 with the amd liquid cooler as I found the bundle cheap at a computer store near me for only $180 new. To go with it I ordered a CHV-Z. Now I remember vividly the northbridge being really warm on the CHV and I'm assuming not much has changed. This time though I'd like to do something about it other than changing my case airflow.

I'm wondering though if the CHV heatsink is easy to remove and reinstall? I'm not a spastic when it comes to computer parts, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into before I do stuff 😛 Has anybody done this and can comment on whether or not its worth it and how easy/difficult it is?

I've also ordered an ASUS 7870 DCII to go with the build that I'll be re-timming as I'm pretty confident with gpus.

Edit: I'll also be undervolting the NB from 1.1v to 1v. I did this last time and the temps dropped a notch but not enough to make me feel super comfortable
4 REPLIES 4

sectionate
Level 12
Sniffy wrote:
So after months of Intel I've decided I miss AMD and all the tweaking that goes with it 😞

I ordered an FX-8150 with the amd liquid cooler as I found the bundle cheap at a computer store near me for only $180 new. To go with it I ordered a CHV-Z. Now I remember vividly the northbridge being really warm on the CHV and I'm assuming not much has changed. This time though I'd like to do something about it other than changing my case airflow.

I'm wondering though if the CHV heatsink is easy to remove and reinstall? I'm not a spastic when it comes to computer parts, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into before I do stuff 😛 Has anybody done this and can comment on whether or not its worth it and how easy/difficult it is?

I've also ordered an ASUS 7870 DCII to go with the build that I'll be re-timming as I'm pretty confident with gpus.

Edit: I'll also be undervolting the NB from 1.1v to 1v. I did this last time and the temps dropped a notch but not enough to make me feel super comfortable

The nb on the chv was a mistake they made,which was corrected/fixed. I bet you couldnt buy/find a chv that still has that flaw. I wouldn't gomessing around with the motherboard if like your said "im not spastic when it comes to computer parts" here he it is -> http://www.overclockers.com/asus-crosshair-formula-motherboard-review/#
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

flearider
Level 8
just the same as the chv .. think it's 4 little screws long thin driver required .. did my chv .. temps were still not low enough so put a 60mm fan over the top .. now stays under 45 .. lol
AMD FX 8350 5.1ghz 221x23
CROSSHAIR V bios 1703
g-skill sniper 1600@1800
What does it matter now if men believe or no?
What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
To murmur in pity that my words were true
(Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)

to see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ...

flearider wrote:
just the same as the chv .. think it's 4 little screws long thin driver required .. did my chv .. temps were still not low enough so put a 60mm fan over the top .. now stays under 45 .. lol

So reapplying the tim didn't make much difference?

Aww yeah its done!!