cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VX vs. N76VZ: Which is better for me?

Xehanort
Level 8
First of all, i'm terribly sorry if I put this on the wrong section. Since it involves more than the G75, I thought this was a better place to put it. If it's on the wrong place, i'm sorry 😞

Anyway, i'm an aspiring internet reviewer and I was looking for a powerfull performance computer to handle professional video editing software and full HD recordings/footage. I currently own the N53Jq, with a i7 740QM, GT 425 and 6GB RAM. I'm verry happy with it, best laptop i've ever owned actually, but I need a more powerfull one for the reasons i've already stated. I guess it would be also great if it could run games smoothly, but not a top priority for me. Most games I play on the PC is older stuff and the new stuff isn't very demanding in terms of specs (Dark Souls, Football Manager, Kingdoms of Amalur), nothing like BF3 or COD demanding since I hate these games xD

So I was pondering these two: G75VX-T4059H and N76VZ-V4G-T1196H (the sites' in portuguese, but scroll a bit down and you'll find the specs). I've heard great things from both, but I'm more leaned to N76VZ for it's higher HD space and significantly lower price tag. It has a worse GPU, but hell I think it's enough for what i'm trying to do with it. But i've heard the G75VX is the best performance laptop out there...

So yeah, that's pretty much it. Which one you guys think is better for my needs? If any of you has/had one of these laptops, it'd be great if you could tell me how good they are 🙂

Thank you for your time.
5 REPLIES 5

rewben
Level 13
looking at your usage, i would say it's better you go for G75VX, for a number of reasons (mainly about future upgrades, as i think video editing/full HD recordings can be resource-hogging):

1. it has SSD and HDD combo (2 HDD bays; both SATA III 6gb/s). SSD boosts OS and app load times significantly (i.e. you will spend a lot less time waiting for something to happen), and the HDD is mainly for storage or scratch disk.

2. it has 4 RAM slots. the good thing about this is when you wish to have more RAM, you can always upgrade the two in the user serviceable area that you can access freely and without voiding warranty. officially it says you can have 16gb; but unofficially, you can go to the maximum that your CPU can handle, i.e. 32gb. with this amount of RAM i can set up a 8 to 16gb RAM disk easily for video rendering work.

3. it has a very good cooling system, so it can withstand long hours of work loads at room temperature.

you might be interested in reading this as well.

all these (good cooling and horse power, with enough space for future upgrades) might make it run longer before you buy a new one for work purposes.

there are downsides to a g75, too; but i think corrections should have been in place for some of them in this new model of g-series, compared to G75VW:

1. it uses the dedicated GPU for display; there is no Optimus technology that can make use of CPU's built-in HD graphic for battery power savings;

2. for some, it's a heavy beast (4.5kg vs. 3.4kg).

3. it needs more power (180w vs. 90w)

rewben wrote:
looking at your usage, i would say it's better you go for G75VX, for a number of reasons (mainly about future upgrades, as i think video editing/full HD recordings can be resource-hogging):

1. it has SSD and HDD combo (2 HDD bays; both SATA III 6gb/s). SSD boosts OS and app load times significantly (i.e. you will spend a lot less time waiting for something to happen), and the HDD is mainly for storage or scratch disk.

2. it has 4 RAM slots. the good thing about this is when you wish to have more RAM, you can always upgrade the two in the user serviceable area that you can access freely and without voiding warranty. officially it says you can have 16gb; but unofficially, you can go to the maximum that your CPU can handle, i.e. 32gb. with this amount of RAM i can set up a 8 to 16gb RAM disk easily for video rendering work.

3. it has a very good cooling system, so it can withstand long hours of work loads at room temperature.

you might be interested in reading this as well.

all these (good cooling and horse power, with enough space for future upgrades) might make it run longer before you buy a new one for work purposes.

there are downsides to a g75, too; but i think corrections should have been in place for some of them in this new model of g-series, compared to G75VW:

1. it uses the dedicated GPU for display; there is no Optimus technology that can make use of CPU's built-in HD graphic for battery power savings;

2. for some, it's a heavy beast (4.5kg vs. 3.4kg).

3. it needs more power (180w vs. 90w)

Wow, thanks alot for the detailed explanation =D

A question that's been on my mind lately: Does the graphics card influence on the rendering/editing of Sony Vegas? Does it make it faster, or does it influence at all?

Xehanort wrote:
Wow, thanks alot for the detailed explanation =D

A question that's been on my mind lately: Does the graphics card influence on the rendering/editing of Sony Vegas? Does it make it faster, or does it influence at all?

Yes, from what I see: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/GPU_power_in_Vegas_Pro_11

I am more familiar with Adobe stuff eg. Photoshop CS6 which uses GPU etc.

Overall, I think you can't go wrong with a G series. G55 here and in the past few days starting firing up Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator CS6. Very impressed so far. And using Unity3D Engine, particle rendering with Gravit with Fraps capture... go for SSD+HDD combo, fastest CPU and GPU you can configure to put in that laptop, 16GB of RAM... flying mate, flying.

Here's the clincher... Recently on my G55 I opened a 12,000pixel file in Photoshop converted from Illustrator, took several seconds to rasterize, because... ~Folding@Home CPU was running ~100%~ in the background 😛 and I could still switch between apps, browse the web, etc.

SUKARA
Level 10
oh....very detail explanation by rewben...

chrsplmr
Level 18
The N isn't even close.
If you Must go portable And do the things you
want to .. the choice is clear - G.

This of course is not your best option for video
rendering/gaming -- just the one thats portable/self contained.
If the specs are correct and the price holds on the BestBuy site
then the vx with 670 gpu for $1200us ???
(Add some memory .. save for an ssd .. good to go.)

Welcome to ROG .. nice entrance.c.