Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

HIM dont be a fanboy. Also dont post links to crappy sitees selling old hardware for more then what it cost.

Now lests slip out of super fail fanboy mode and be serious

MX17 base new from Dell is $1,500. Upgrade the display to 1920X1080, gpu GTX 680m and guess what? That's $2,199 and if you call they will ship it free. Faster then the crap from the 3rd world website you linked and you know what the same price as the VX with a waaaaaaaaaaaaay after gpu. MSI has even better systems for cheaper. Also Sager has systems in the same price range that curb stomps the VX. Alienware is overpriced but still in the same price range as the VX so ha ha Asus is now on the Alienware level of overpriceing stuff. However Alienware aka dell has the best warrenty for a pc you can get and Asus has some guy in iraq fixing them off the side of a donky in terms of service. Asus took over a month and a half to fix a G75VW i had. Dell i put a call in at 10pm est for my MX18 and by 10am the next day i had a tech in my house fixing my system and by noon i was back up and running.

From what i have been seeing is a decline in power and value in the rog laptops. You guys remember the $1,300 system of yesterday with a i7 and a hd 5870 what was the fastest card at the time? Now we pay more for mid end cards and no real advancement in features why other laptop get all kinds of advancements. Its because the fanboys here are getting to be like apple and will buy anything that has rog on it and think its the best performance and value ever .

Also HIM that GT70 is nice i had one. However do not buy that. $2k from a seller with 117 feedback and not a powerseller no thanks. If you spend that much make sure they are a powerseller with very high feedback and a very high rateing. Also bwefore you buy check out what they sold in the feed back and see what people said. see if they are happy or if they got a broke unit and the buyer refunded or sent a new one.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

2200, get a sager or MSI. beast laptops

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Best advice I ever got when buying computers from a computing scince prof...do your homework/research, plot out the performance versus price, which will be pretty linear up to a "knee" in the curve, after which the same or more extra $$ invested will buy you only incremental performance increases. Anyways, "buy at the knee" the saying goes.

I see ASUS G-series as brilliantly marketed notebooks, because they lie precisely at the knee. I would be surprised in fact if ASUS didn't know this...I really think they target the G-series right at this spot. Anyways, the other "beastly" laptops you are being steered towards in this thread are well beyond this, into the realm of epsilon performance increase per many dollars extra.

Buy at the knee.

If you must have the best at all costs then you should ignore this advice. Otherwise, on a performance-per-price basis, the G-series are the top notebooks around.
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

@fostert, that is very true! +rep! That is the reason that I bought my ASUS. It fit my ~$1500 budget with the best specs. Everything higher got a lot more expensive, and didn't add anything I wanted. I upgraded the RAM and HDD myself rather than blowing it on marginal CPU increases. The extra RAM and HDD is far more noticeable for VMs.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

ZyROGgie .. right on the mark as usual goodSir .. Fostert+.

Asus hits what 'she' shoots at .. dead center .. its where the most 'meat' is ..
    for everything else there is Mod'n.

Does anyone here really doubt that if the target was ultra high end, 'nothing touches it'
    was the goal that we wouldnt be looking at a just under $5000 screamer ???
    Thats not where main street lives.c.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by bignazpwns View Post

MX17 base new from Dell is $1,500. Upgrade the display to 1920X1080, gpu GTX 680m and guess what? That's $2,199 and if you call they will ship it free. MSI has even better systems for cheaper. Also Sager has systems in the same price range that curb stomps the VX.

Also HIM that GT70 is nice i had one. .
    Thank you all for your answers.

The reason i wanned Asus is not that i'm a fanboy of ROG per say. I'm not a child. In stead i was attracted about the looks but mostly i like the COOLING SYSTEM G75 has (2 cooling vents) as i know (mabey i'm wrong) that HEAT is nr 1 parts killer and ..i don't know other brands that have that. PS: i will also buy a Cooling Pad for extra safe.

Do u really think someone from Dell or MSI wil actualy help me build a system by the phone and shipp it to Romania? If so, please advice me where to get those numbers from (dell and MSI) or what dealer i should search for next? Or mabey an online consultant/dealer...i don't know what other posibilities i might have for making this work.

Alli want is PERFORMANCE but in 2200 $ range. If u guys say i can get the 680m for that money...then i want that mostly because it makes such a huge difference for gaming performance,right? I don't care who provides it, Asus,MSI, etc. If i had this brands behind the corner...i would be more informed and could make a better decision. That is why i need you guys.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

The Asus G series has not been the best value since back in the day. Really around the G74 they were avrage and if you looked MSI offered better systems for the same price or cheaper. Now its just overpriced and your paying for the whole ROG UBER GAMER OMG...Hmm kinda like Razer? The VX is not even close to a value. $1,300-1,400 yeah. $2,000+ god no for that price you can get way better systems without looking for a sale or looking hard at all.

The G73Jh was a hell of a system. I mean when i seen it $1,200 got you a i7 the highest end gpu at the time. I mean it was awesome Asus did the highend gpu. Now asus does the middle end gpus and the price keeps going up. When i seen that laptop i bought it on the spot because of the value and power. Now i just walk past them and i see no value. i see no power and with the VX its giving me a Alienware taste in my mouth but atleast Alienware has a much better warranty and service.

I wanna see the features. I wanna see the power that the ROG means for desktops because in the laptops is a friggin joke now and means nothing.

Wanna charge $2,000+ for the VX no problem dont sell me crap tho like you are. Give me a great keybord. Give me some awesome name brand audio i mean everyone else will use harmon kardon, jbl kalipsh etc. "I did not say beats, Thats not high end thats crap" Make it worth the money. Use better displays. IPS or atleast a TN that does not have lines in it and look like fuzzy crap. Give me some nice dual band wifi not the crap you got left over from eee pc's.

I mean its pretty sad when you become the same value as Alienware.

Heat is the #1 parts killer (Besides user stupidity ). If you want the 680M, you will have to look elsewhere. I too would like to see a higher-end version of the G-series, but I doubt that it will happen.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

http://www.agearnotebooks.com/msims-1762-680m.html#tabs

saw this msi yesterday. blown away. cheapest 680 i have ever seen. even has diamong paste + killer N.

not sure if it ships to your country though...

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by cheek View Post
    http://www.agearnotebooks.com/msims-1762-680m.html#tabs

saw this msi yesterday. blown away. cheapest 680 i have ever seen. even has diamong paste + killer N.

not sure if it ships to your country though...
    Now that is a deal!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast