cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme - Audio not working

slimpickins28
Level 7
I normally never have to post, as I try many things on my own first. Here is the breakdown of my new sys...
32gig ram
11 HDs
win 8 pro
blah blah blah...
haf 932 case

New / fresh installation. Installed the newest Realtek driver from asus website. Bios settings are audio enable, '97 front panel (it is) and digital out as HDMI. I can't get ANY sound out of speakers. Have two sets, one in front audio plug (green) and other as center set (orange/yellow) plug. They are working fine..plugged into phone and when compute restarts, they click (that ground click when power is cycled....)

I've read other forums about people's having issues with static and stuff and having to RMA their board, however I don't get any of that. I really think its a driver issue. I have tried the only other driver listed on asus website as well...no joy.

Under Realek HD manager in control panel, the proper speakers are selected, and checked. HOWEVER, this is where something doesn't seem right. On the picture the front panel plugs show up bright...but the Analog "back panel" shows up as dimmed. I think that may be why its not playing any sound....but not sure how to change it.

Under Sound in control panel, the speakers are checked as default device, showing as (Speakers,Realtek High Definition Audio, Default Device).

Just wanted some guidance on what to try.

Steps I've done:
updated bios
played with bios settings
updated driver
uninstalled / reinstalled driver

Thanks ahead of time guys and gals!
79 REPLIES 79

Daveo
Level 11
not sure as i dont have an extreme, however i think this is indeed a software config issue. theres an option in the bios to swap mapping for hd/ac97 but i don't see how it should make a difference.
is jack detection working correctly?

I have a friend with an extreme i will ask him as he has had similar problems as well.

Daveo

SUKARA
Level 10
Welcome!!!
Could you please try those soultion?
1. into the bios manual and set the front panel type-->HD audio
2.and set SPDIF out type-->SPDIF
3.re-start the pc and into the os system, remove all audio driver form control panel-->Add Remove Programs
4.download the audio driver form asus website,then re-insatll the audio driver and test again
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=zh-tw&p=1&s=42&m=Rampage%20IV%20Extreme&os=35&ft=4&f...

5.if the problem still can't solved,please repeat steps 1-3,then start the device manager and specify the path to install the driver test again

Tried all those steps, saw that drive was a touch higher than the one I had....6016657. I used yours, 6016699, but still no joy. Did the restarts in-between, changed configuration....still out.

Basically, It's trying to do digital out and not analog. I tried plugging my speakers into the front headphone jack, but its still not playing sound. It will play on the OS, I can see the music eq moving as it plays a song.

It doesn't seem to do anything or ask for anything when I plug or unplug, or change plugs around...(don't think jack detection is working).

One other thing....If I go to Ctrl Pnl-Sound-Playback Tab, highlight speaker, and click properties there is a sub category showing "Jack Information" I'm only showing Front Panel LR (green). And rear panel RL RR (black) and Rear Panel C Sub (pink).
it doesn't show any of the other jacks...

flaz
Level 7
Hi slimpickins28,
I think i have the same problems as yours. Does this problem already solved now? If yes, please share how to fix it, i do believe its the Realtek driver that causing this because before i installed Realtek driver and just use the windows HD audio driver that come with windows 7 my sound work normal.
RIVE-3930K-MATRIX7970-PHOEBUS-FORCEGT120G-DOMINATORGT16G-H100-AX850-600T-PB278Q

Yeah, I haven't found a solution yet!! Mine was to buy a $24 dollar Creative USB sound card from Best Buy. Sucks as I use a 3.1 system but can't utilize it all! I planned on RMA'ing the board...but I have 12 hard drives in 3 different raids....and a HAF case literally full....so its a pain to remove the MB again. I tried every driver possible, not one worked for me. the speakers plugged into the board "hiss" right before the screens kick-on for bios posting...but that's all I get!

sorry!

flaz
Level 7
That 'hiss' is also exactly what i experienced here.

Well this is so sad, i also start thinking that there is a mb failure and have to rma my mb 😞
But thanks anyway for your reply, at least now i know i'm not the only one who experiencing the same problem.
RIVE-3930K-MATRIX7970-PHOEBUS-FORCEGT120G-DOMINATORGT16G-H100-AX850-600T-PB278Q

+1
I have the exact same problem as OP. It seems that the Realtek Audio hardware is broken. Very disappointing, I'm not able to start a RMA as I am moving house very soon. I too ended up dropping in a soundcard...

Very Sad Panda!

I have had a similar problem with audio on the RIVE - sound suddenly stopped working, and jack detection began to behave haphazardly. Tried driver reinstalls and fresh OS installs without success. I got a replacement board which solved the issue, so it must have been the hardware. It was a surprising experience though - I had never seen onboard audio hardware fail before then.
| MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | RAM: 8x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 (CL10) | CPU: Intel Core i7 3930k (4.2GHz, -0.005v) | GPU: 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 FE | SSD: 2x Crucial MX300 750GB | PSU: Corsair AX1200 |

HiVizMan
Level 40
OK this is quite a depressing thread. I have never used the sound on any of the 6 RIVE boards I have used since the launch. But then non of the boards have even been used to browse the web either.

I will see if I can duplicate this and plug in a speaker, it will have to wait until the new year as I am away from the test bench until Jan 2013. Best I can do for now.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.