cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OCing issues with M4E + 2600K + SLI 460 GTX

Retired
Not applicable
Hi everyone,
I recently got and setup my watercooled build with 2 EVGA 460s in SLI, a 2600K and the M4E board along with 8GB (2x 4GB) of G.Skill Reaper X RAM. I am also using a Corsair 850AX PSU (which should give me more than enough power).

The issues I'm coming across are a little odd and not something I can figure out on the own, so I'm coming to you.

I was able to OC my GPUs to EVGA's 'FTW' standard on those cards. While keeping my CPU at stock speeds, I ran all sorts of tests as well as 3DMark Vantage with no issues.

Once I OC the CPU to 4.2GHz (using the auto OC setting in BIOS), the GPUs overheat and can't get through a single test.

So I need some advise on troubleshooting the issue. Is this an issue with a lack of power going to the cards once the CPU uses more?

Let me know what you guys think.

Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10

xeromist
Are the GPUs on the same loop as the CPU?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

pcjunkie209
Level 9
As far as I know what X asked would be the only cause for overheating. One loop? How many rads? how is your watercooling setup?
"I would rather be gaming!" Grunts-clan.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://Pcjunkiemods.com
http://c2cmods.com

Retired
Not applicable
Hey guys,
Sorry for the delayed response. Been busy with all these issues and other things that I completely even forgot I posted the issue here -_-

Anyway, after some extensive testing (taking apart my entire loop and going on air for a little bit, then connecting the loop with individual components, I figured out that one of the GPUs is simply bad. It over heats even at stocks speeds, I just didn't notice (somehow). One of the cards works great, and runs at a cool 38C at 100% load, while the other runs to >80C at heavy load and stock speeds.

I'm just RMAing it.

But to answer your questions:
It is a single loop with a XSPC RX360 rad with 3 Gelid 120 PWM fans.

xeromist
Sounds like that card isn't making good contact with the heat sink. If you can RMA then I guess that's good but you probably could have solved it yourself with repaste and heat sink adjustment if you didn't want to wait.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
I did. I replaced the heatsinks on it 3 times. and repasted each time. 2 times with the water block and once with the air. All 3 times, the temps did not improve. I highly doubt it was just a bad contact.

EVGA already approved on RMA on the card, so I'm just going to do it that way.

xeromist
Ah, that sucks. Well at least you tried and at least you can RMA. Hope the next one works out better for you.

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for the suggestions.

Retired
Not applicable
It's up and running!!! (Finally) Had to RMA a GPU and reinstall windows about a dozen times to figure out the software conflict issues.

http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=27078

xeromist
Glad it's finally working 🙂