Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Hartacus's Avatar

Should I swap my i7 960 & Rampage III Gene for a FX 8350 & ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

Should I swap my i7 960 & Rampage III Gene for a FX 8350 & ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z?

ROG Enthusiast Array Tenshi PC Specs
    Tenshi PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Crosshair V Formula
    ProcessorAMD FX 8150 3.61ghz
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 16GB(4x4)
    Graphics Card #1PNY XLR8 Geforce GTX 470 1280MB GDDR5
    MonitorSamsung Syncmaster 23" S23B370
    Storage #1Samsung 500GB 7200RPM
    CPU CoolerCorsair Air Series A50 CAFA50
    CaseCorsair Graphite Series 780T White
    Power SupplyCorsair Pro Series Gold AX850 80 PLUS Gold
    OS Win7 64bits

If you read reviews of V Formula-Z, you'll know that has new features, but lack of few things people wanted; and took away others; so based on reviews i read, i can't recommend V Formula-Z, instead of the old one, but that just my opinion.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Stick with the i7. It you want more power you could look for a 2nd hand 970 or go with a 3770k.
    Last edited by driftingforlife; 12-06-2012 at 09:35 AM.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Only if you wish to have a step down in performance over what you have.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    Only if you wish to have a step down in performance over what you have.
    That's straight up cold bro ... and with all due respect .. step down on what level ??
    Do you really mean to suggest that the V/8350 with 7970 couldnt keep up in 'game' ?
    Correct me if I am wrong .. I know someone will .. but doesn't that 8350 hold the OC record ???
    And doesnt that 7970 play so much better with its 'own kind' (AMD) ...
    I have yet to see any evidence that intel is 'more' other than price .. no offense to the OCworld.

OP ... guess my answer. Yes .. although what you have is ROG'n.c.
    Last edited by chrsplmr; 12-06-2012 at 01:09 PM.

LOL Chris does sound a bit cold I agree and sorry about that.

The HD7970 is my card of choice as you well know. But the single threaded performance of the Bulldozer is not good compared to either the Phenom or any of the Intel offerings including the CPU the OP has. True that AMD has the frequency record, but then a LGA775 5 generation old Intel Celeron held it before and no one is going to claim that those old Celeron processors are going to out perform any of the later Intel offerings. And frequency sadly does not mean anything when it comes to performance when comparing platforms. I had my 8150 at 7.65GHz, and ran WPrime at 7.1GHz it was still slower in time taken than a stock Sandy Bridge 2500K.

I could have worded it a touch better I accept. And duly consider myself rapped on the knuckles and accept my punishment.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Enthusiast Array

@OP - What is your motivation behind the move ? Are you not satisfied with your current config or unable to run games as per your expectations? I'm sure your current config is handling everything perfectly. If you can throw light on this maybe "chrsplmr" and "HiVizMan" will suggest alternatives.

If you want to go for extreme OC then yes.... go for 8350.

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

Sandy and Ivy, the double mint twins .. yum.

chrsplmr~bows~ to theHiVizMan's superior experience - now thats warm and toasty ..
    and unarguable ... thankYou goodSir.

OP ... I'd listen to the Viz ... he has beat on them All ..
    A few questions remain:
    What do you wish to do with your rig ?? Then to the Members .. what accomplishes
    this the best ??

Best of Luck in all you seek ... (my apologies for any tongue in cheek..meant no offense.).c.

Yeah you have it spot on Chris, it is all about what you want to do with your system.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Hartacus's Avatar

Thanks for all the replies. Ill start by saying I hate my Rampage III Gene. It's to old so I can't find any cooling blocks for the NB and it gets so hot I cant even touch it. My exhaust vent feel like a damn dryer vent. All my other components don't go over 70C under load. I was looking at buying a Rampage III Extreme but figured if I was going to spend $200+ I might as well upgrade my chip too and move to a new socket. If I bought the rampage iii extreme do you think I could get my 960 stable past 4.1ghz?

Ohhh, and not having a USB 3.0 20 pin header kind of pisses me off too. I'm currently using SEDNA - PCI Express USB 3.0 4 Port Adapter ( 2External + 2 Port Internal with 20 Pin connector )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast