cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building a rig for buddy

Cody_Irwin
Level 10
Hey guys, im building a rig for my buddy, he already ordered parts and shipped but I still have some concerns as Im confused by Asus...

I got him a Asus P8Z77-M
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131832

The standoff holes just dont look right... the bottom middle is completely in a weird spot that no case I have ever seen use.
Look at the backside on newegg and see what I mean.
Also on top of that has some 2 bonus holes in the CPU Cooler Mounts

He will be putting it in a Corsair 500R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009

I was wondering if anyone can help out incase he has to send stuff back and rather not open it... as I dont really know the concerns these days still about not putting the screws in for each hole ect.

Heres the rest of the build, let me know if you see any problems as this will be his first "real" gaming computer, as well as he was on a budget, and insisted on the 3770k, when I kept telling him he will never really use it lol.

Especially with the Memory size with the CPU Cooler let me know. I dont think it will be a problem, just rather be safe then sorry.

He ordered way too fast and rushed me so his fault anyways lol.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182073
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231611
40 REPLIES 40

TenBlade
Level 11
Slight concern about ram, the very specific name of that board does not show on the compatibility list
These do

P8Z68-V PRO

P8Z77-V DELUXE

P8Z77-V PREMIUM

P8Z77-V PRO but not the M-version.

List of compatible ram from G.Skill http://www.gskill.com/configurator2.php?pid=2&model=1539

The holes on the board should be standard to micro-ATX, which case are you going to use?

The cooler is quite narrow, I doubt it´ll collide with the ram. Take it out carefully and place it on the board, and see if it fits with the ram installed. You must read the vendor´s conditions on return policy. Over here we´re allowed to return items having been taken out of the box, as long as the whole shabang is returned in it´s original state.

Nice value psu, by the way, got good review.

The case is a 500R I stated.
Also good to know, about the ram, as Like I said he is rushing as he has been out of a computer for almost a month and finally got around to ordering parts to just build a new one completely.

If you listened too about me telling yoou to look at the mounting holes on the BACKSIDE of the motherboard, They dont line up to micro ATX from what I see, theres one hole TOO CLOSE to another mounting hole.

If anything Im going to try to push him to the P8Z77-V PRO so he will have access to more stuff in general, also I feel more safer anyways as well as make sure the memory is compatible.

P.s. I dont see the memory im getting him compatible, his is 8gbx2 16gb total for 1866mhz, I only see 4gbx2 gb total for it, no idea if its the same, as Ive always never really have problems anyways haha

TenBlade
Level 11
Sorry, missed the case link.

What is the bottom middle? The picture has the board oriented with I/O area facing downwards. I see two holes close to cooler mounting holes, are those the ones you mean?
If one of the mounting holes don´t fit, then just leave out one screw.

And since he´s getting the 3770k, he should get a board that´ll overclock it properly, otherwise hardly any point in getting the k-version.

I know about the overclocking but he wants to spend his money more on the processor then other parts so its his problem for that, which I am now trying to fix yet again.

Also I am talking about the mounting holes for the CPU, but you are not reading what I am saying for the other parts...

FOR THE MOTHERBOARD TO THE CASE HOLES! =P
The bottom of the motherboard, or if you look on newegg and goto the pic showing the back side, you will see on the LEFT TOP that the holes are close for the screw to mount the motherboard to the case, while theres one on the left to the middle that does not line up with any MATX Cases Ive seen.

The top left hole is too close to the middle top hole, and its just confusing to why they did that if you comepare it to any other MATX Board.

Also as I said Im most likely going to try to get him to go for a PRO board, too bad he is one impatient guy.

Hi:

I have this motherboard and mounted it into a guardian 921 with no problems. Its a good board I put an 3570k into it.

sam
x99-pro/3.1 | i7-5820k | 16gb gskils 3000 | Nvidia gtx 980 ti | 512gb SM950 Pro | Predator 360 AIO | ASUS PA248Q | Seasonic Platnium 1000w

TenBlade
Level 11
No need to shout, only trying to help. So, now I´m reading that you´re saying that we´ve moved from the bottom to the left top of the PICTURE, ok, you´re being more specific, thank you. I´ll stick to my advice, screw that hole... :cool:

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cody chill dude. If you wanted to you could have downloaded the image, marked on the image which of the holes you are concerned about and uploaded that edited link here on the forum. That would have been the best way of doing things.

Now that being said, hey Cody you good mate. Not seen you on the forum for some time. 🙂

If you want to check out the official standards for motherboard form factors you can. They are standardised and as such are compliant with international specification and consistent. Wiki even has a page showing the different form factor standards.

As to ram, the more recent kits of ram, in other words those kits made for the Z77 platform will all work on that board. It is only the kits that were made for older chip-sets that might be problematic. May I make a suggestion to any one who reads this thread and is thinking of asking questions about products, do not simply post a link. List (copy and paste) the actually product name or model. Few folks are going to click links to see what products are specified. Especially if you are on a mobile device like I am. 🙂

Short answer, the motherboard will fit. The ram will work. The CPU will overclock to a reasonable frequency because it is the CPU that determines the level of Overclock in conjunction with the cooler capacity to shift heat. The motherboard provides the voltages, and the more budget boards will do the job just fine for a moderate overclock but not at the levels of the ROG or top end boards.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Area_66
Level 11
Guy, you can make a wish list on NewEgg and make it public, so instead of clinking on each link, we just clink on one and we can see the full build.

kkn
Level 14
and by the PCIE holes ( backside of the case ) there is 2 holes ( standoff holes ) close to each other, its hard to see. ( if it was those you was thinking off ).
its to the righthand of slot 1 and 3 in to the case side ( where the video cards goes out )