Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Hi,

I have purchased 16gb(2X8gb) corsair vengeance kit(CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10R). I want to know whether it will work on rampage iv extreme, I've checked the QVL but my kit is not listed in fact none is listed with 8gb sticks. if I plan to add another kit with same specs, will it work?
    Last edited by harshil111; 05-28-2013 at 02:32 PM.

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Hi harshil111

A definitive yes or no is impossible to give but Vengeance has a bad track record on X79.

Having said that it is not really whether the board will run it but the CPU. The memory controller is on the CPU these days and the strength of this IMC is the key thing.

There are a number of things you can do to increase the probability of success running RAM on X79...In this order: buy lower frequency... buy single binned kits... buy from the QVL... buy smaller size modules.

The most important of these will be frequency and since the RAM you have is low frequency I should think it will work. But the other things don't exactly work in it's favor and adding a second kit later is definitely looking for trouble. I would not try that. Certainly not without an easy refund policy from the seller.

New ROGer Array

Hi Arne,

I read at quite a few forums that ram kits consist of individual sticks packed together such that all the sticks the ram sticks with same specs are the same, therefore if you combine two dual channel kits it becomes a quad channel kit. Is it so? And by the way if you ask me about the processor it's an i7 3930k.

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

I'm afraid that is categorically not true. The chips on the sticks that make up one RAM kit are binned to work together. RAM of the same make/model that comes off the line even an hour later but in a different kit may well not work with another kit.

Two dual channel kits do not make a quad channel kit...they remain two kits and the XMP profile might not work for both etc. One quad channel kit can make two dual channel kits easier since those sticks have been tested as working together.

The processor model makes no difference per se. It is a lottery as to whether the actual processor that you get in the box has a strong IMC or a weak one.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Question Corsair Dominator Platinum Compatibility and 1 more question

I am in the process of building a high-end, workstation/gaming build, and since I am not doing an upgrade I am going to go ahead and build it with an ivy-e cpu. While I assume that ASUS will release some new LGA 2011 boards after ivy-e launches, I really want to go ROG rampage due to the features and OCing capability. The RIVE is the most recommended of the ROG LGA 2011 boards, and so I intend to purchase it... as long as I can get an answer to the following questions:

1. ) As this thread suggests, RAM compatibility is a common complaint with regard to the RIVE. I have a specific RAM set in mind: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3 2133 (CMD64GX3M8A2133C9). So, I would like to know whether it will be compatible. It is not on the QVL, but I regularly see build logs in which this RAM is paired with a RIVE (in fact, the Maximum PC September Dream Build 2013 features this RAM and a RIVE). I find it both strange and concerning that neither the corsair ram configurator nor the ASUS QVL list this RAM -- or any dominator platinum 32gb quad kits -- despite so many users and proposed rigs specifying this combination. The aforementioned RAM kit is not cheap (800$), and while I am happy to spend this (even if it is overkill), I am not looking to piss away that kind of money on incompatible RAM. Is this RAM compatible (or is any dominator platinum 32gb quad kit) and if so, why the hell isn't it listed by either ASUS or Corsair?

2.) The other question I have is perhaps misplaced on this thread, but I'll ask anyway. The RIVE is an old board relatively speaking, having been released in 2011. Does this mean that the technology on the board is outdated, or that it will have limitations due to having legacy components? I read that ASUS is releasing a new x79 deluxe with the release of ivy-e, so would I be better off going with a non-rog board that is newer, or is the RIVE so ahead of its time that it still takes the cake as far as x79 boards go?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as I have wanted to get an ROG board since I heard that they existed.

Many thanks,

Carson Riess (ASUS patron and wanna-be extreme OC'er enthusiast)

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

Well, the RAM is listed as X79 compatible despite being called "dual channel". I presume since the RIVE may well be in for that refresh....neither ASUS or Corsair can be bothered to qualify anything else. The "RVE" will probably have the updated list....I presume they have tested it but as always this is going to come down to the quality of the IMC on the CPU itself. The general idea is that IB-E will have a more robust IMC and should run a 64GB kit at this frequency better than SB-E say. But you should expect to have to do some tweaking setting this amount of RAM up after all the Intel spec has only raised IB-E guarantee from 1600 to 1866.

When it comes down to it though, if it says a frequency and OC next to it though...you are basically on your own.

Make sure you have a PSU with a floppy connector for the extra power you are going to need to run 8 high density sticks (floppy connector on the RIVE at least)

The second question...I personally would wait to see if there is a X79 refresh but the RIVE is a stellar board and for OCing it is the dog's whatsits. Something slightly better might come out but it wont leave the RIVE looking like week old lettuce...
    Last edited by Arne Saknussemm; 08-31-2013 at 03:34 PM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    Well, the RAM is listed as X79 compatible despite being called "dual channel". I presume since the RIVE may well be in for that refresh....neither ASUS or Corsair can be bothered to qualify anything else. The "RVE" will probably have the updated list....I presume they have tested it but as always this is going to come down to the quality of the IMC on the CPU itself. The general idea is that IB-E will have a more robust IMC and should run a 64GB kit at this frequency better than SB-E say. But you should expect to have to do some tweaking setting this amount of RAM up after all the Intel spec has only raised IB-E guarantee from 1600 to 1866.

When it comes down to it though, if it says a frequency and OC next to it though...you are basically on your own.

Make sure you have a PSU with a floppy connector for the extra power you are going to need to run 8 high density sticks (floppy connector on the RIVE at least)

The second question...I personally would wait to see if there is a X79 refresh but the RIVE is a stellar board and for OCing it is the dog's whatsits. Something slightly better might come out but it wont leave the RIVE looking like week old lettuce...
    Thanks so much for the reply! I suppose it may be safer to go with a 1866Mhz set instead then.

Im not sure I understand what you mean when you say to make sure the PSU has a floppy connector... I have an AX1200i -- will this do?

I'm going to take your advice and wait and see regarding an x79 refresh, but I lack patience! BTW, I got a a kick out of your phraseology, "it won't leave the RIVE looking like weak old lettuce"

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

I think for 64GB 1866 is probably a good call anyway but if you're waiting you will have time to check out the reviews on the IB-E IMC maybe it can run 64GB no sweat compared to its fickle SB-E cousin and you can go with the 2133.

The PSU you have has a floppy connector so you are good to go....at least with the RIVE....the extra power connector for the RAM....EZPlug as it's called, is a floppy connector.....in case you're as patient as me and go out tomorrow and buy a RIVE

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

There is a floppy connector, and you need it for the extra DDR power when you have 64GB of ram.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Is 2400 actually the max you can run on the formula? I'm seeing there are higher speeds (especially the trident x)... can the board run these or would i need a newer board like the RIVE black to take advantage of speeds > 2400?
    Motherboard Asus ROG Rampage IV Formula x79
    CPU Intel i7 4820k Ivy Bridge-E @ 4.6ghz
    GPU(s) 3 WAY SLI -- EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature (2GB)
    Displays 5140x1050 @ 120hz using 3 x Samsung 2233RZ
    RAM 16 GB 2133mhz G.Skill RipJaws Z
    PSU LEPA G Series G1600-MA
    Case Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra
    Storage Vertex 3 256 (Games), Intel 320 Series 128 (OS), + 4TB HDD

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast