cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM in RAID0 for X79 boards available

DooRules
Level 10
Both Gigabyte and Asrock have released a bios that will allow the loading of the 11.2 orom into the bios. This should give trim in R0. Link here...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?282039-Raid0-and-TRIM-Support-on-Intel-11.5-OROM-...
7980XE on Asus ApexVI
Zotac 2080Ti
Intel 900P
2 x Samsung 950 Pro
EVGA 1600W
Alienware 34"
Samsung 28" 4K
49 REPLIES 49

NapsterNZ
Level 7
Nice, now we need this to be put into a bios for our RIVE boards.
i7 3930k @ 4.5GHZ - 1.38v H2O
G.Skill 2400Mhz CL10 16GB
2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - Raid 0
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
3x R9 290X 4GB CFX H2O
Corsair 900D Chassis
Silverstone Strider 1500 Watt
Asus Rog Swift PG278Q

Nodens
Level 16
Hold on I'll cook one up fast 😜

EDIT: Ok so Asrock and Gigabyte have actualy included 2 OROM binary images in their UEFI images. One is 3.5 and the other is v11.6.0.1702. I am also guessing that they have implemented a switching mechanism in the Setup menus. I can not copy or implement that myself without reverse engineering. What I did was link the v11.6.0.1702 directly replacing the 3.5 OROM. It should work (unless the 11.6 image is tied to the hardware id) but I can't test it myself as I can't afford downtime right now (working heh).

So there you go:
http://bit.ly/WxncWs

Worst case scenario is that the OROM loads but the driver for it can't be loaded (in that case you should also be able to force it but if that fails as well you can flash the stock 3101:)).
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

I don't like the looks of this one, I think I'll wait for official bios release on this one. If they are using two sets of oroms; something seems fishy....

Nodens wrote:
Hold on I'll cook one up fast 😜

EDIT: Ok so Asrock and Gigabyte have actualy included 2 OROM binary images in their UEFI images. One is 3.5 and the other is v11.6.0.1702. I am also guessing that they have implemented a switching mechanism in the Setup menus. I can not copy or implement that myself without reverse engineering. What I did was link the v11.6.0.1702 directly replacing the 3.5 OROM. It should work (unless the 11.6 image is tied to the hardware id) but I can't test it myself as I can't afford downtime right now (working heh).

So there you go:
http://bit.ly/WxncWs

Worst case scenario is that the OROM loads but the driver for it can't be loaded (in that case you should also be able to force it but if that fails as well you can flash the stock 3101:)).

Actually the Gigabyte G1 Assassin has x3 Oroms included - there is a mobile orom included and i / we do not know why.
http://www.station-drivers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3910&start=75
The switch method is cool within the bios, only draw back is that it states on switch over from RSTe to RST Or vice versa requires a clean install. But thats something i need to play with now. I still have my ROG TRUSTED X48 Though !
I have all ready posted my x79 trim validation and the links uptop of this thread first post take you their. Hope you get it sorted on the RIVE Too. LOL Looks like ive gone global with my tests.

Oh And the SAMMY 840 Pros guys frikkin Rock.:cool:

snout wrote:
Actually the Gigabyte G1 Assassin has x3 Oroms included - there is a mobile orom included and i / we do not know why.
http://www.station-drivers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3910&start=75

Ah, I missed that. I used the Asrock image to extract the OROM image then checked for the presense of the 3.5 and 11.6 on the Gigabyte image really fast for verification..I didn't check the rest of the CSMCORE module on the Gigabyte:)

Since you have the board and you obviously know, does Setup allow you to select the Mobile Express OROM? If it doesn't, it just means Intel is into a process of streamlining the updates and implementation into a unified application method and Gigabyte is implementing it "as is", wasting some eeprom space in the process :p.

The switch method is cool within the bios, only draw back is that it states on switch over from RSTe to RST Or vice versa requires a clean install. But thats something i need to play with now. I still have my ROG TRUSTED X48 Though !
I have all ready posted my x79 trim validation and the links uptop of this thread first post take you their. Hope you get it sorted on the RIVE Too. LOL Looks like ive gone global with my tests.

You can avoid the clean installation. What it states is referring to what I wrote above with clean installation being a "catchall" for technically inept owners of the product. When you switch it exposes a different hardware id. 2826 is the normal X79 controller, 2822 is the "RST" version. So when you switch 2822 is exposed instead of 2826 which means the windows installation can not find the 2826 controller anymore (This situation is similar to switching from AHCI to RAID mode). How you can avoid reinstallation? Easy way would be to merge the plain RST inf and delete the controller from the device manager then reboot and switch in the UEFI. Windows on first boot should reinstall the controller with the proper driver as long as the .inf has been merged. If that fails, for some reason, you can use WinPE environment to manualy hack it into the registry (that's an advanced method and beyond the scope of this post--I can't/won't explain it here ..it's for those with the knowhow:)).

Regarding sorting it out with the RIVE. If my "dirty hack" version doesn't work then all we can do is wait for ASUS to implement it properly. Great proof of concept snout:)
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Yes you are right , there is no option to switch on the Mobile Orom.

cheers

Has any 1 managed to get this working?
i7 3930k @ 4.5GHZ - 1.38v H2O
G.Skill 2400Mhz CL10 16GB
2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - Raid 0
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
3x R9 290X 4GB CFX H2O
Corsair 900D Chassis
Silverstone Strider 1500 Watt
Asus Rog Swift PG278Q

Nodens
Level 16
I'm kinda sure ASUS will do it the same way. If two OEMs do it the same way it means it's how Intel tells them to implement it. It's quite possible that it is for transition purposes (Flash ROM, merge RST inf, switch mode in UEFI == no downtime--The second OROM has different hardware id). If Intel wants 2 OROM versions permanently (that remains to be seen) it means that, no matter what, plain RST isn't as stable as RSTe on the X79 so they're offering both options. Anyhow whoever wants TRIM will have to use a RST OROM no matter what.

RealBench Developer.

Dartmaul
Level 12
Windows 7 + Intel RST Driver 11.2.0.1006 + OROM 11.2.0.1527 = TRIM in RAID0 works

Windows 7 + Intel RST Driver 11.6.1.1002 + OROM 11.6.0.1702 = TRIM in RAID0 works

What's the trick?