cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW - baffled by suspected CPU underperformance...

UpperSideBand
Level 7
Hi Guys!

I purchased my first ASUS Gaming rig 2 weeks ago and I have been running a few benchmarks on it, and have been getting very strange reports...

I have run 3DMark11, 3DMark Vantage and PerformanceTest 8.0. All evaluation/basic copies.

Here are the links to my 3DMark results:
3DMark 11: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5003213
3DMark Vantage: http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/4411837

A Screen shot of the PerformanceTest CPU Benchmark, compared to a similar G75VW (Same CPU,RAM & GPU):

If you have a look at the CPU sections of the 3dMark results, they both indicate a lower processor clock speed than the advertised 2.3Ghz, with auto-overclocking to 3.3Ghz.
3dM11 states 1197Mhz and
3dMvantage states 2294Mhz(close to 2.3GHz, but why not 3.3Ghz?)

The PerformanceTest comparison also shows a huge difference in CPU performance.

I have already set msconfig to 4 Cores and have updated my BIOS to the latest version on the ASUS website, version 221 I think...

HWinfo64 says I've got 4 cores with 8 threads, but CPU-Z says I've only got 2 cores with 4threads??? When I run Task manager and check under the performance tab, it gives 4 graphs under CPU usage history, but does this mean it's using all 4 cores, or just 4 threads?

14081 14082

When I use the stress test in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, the active core count never exceeds 2...

Am I missing something, or is there something wrong with my CPU? If there is, any suggestions on how to fix it please?

PS I am pretty new to multi-core, my previous PC was still a Pentium Dual Core, which I never fiddled with...
PSS Oh yeah, English is not my first language, so please excuse any grammar/spelling mistakes... 🙂
5 REPLIES 5

X-ROG
Level 15
There is some problem with your system. You have two cores disabled. Undo anything you did in MSConfig to manually set the CPU number because cores and threads are different and you may have just set it to half CPU only. If it doesn't fix it try restoring Windows and your BIOS to its factory default values.

3DMark 11 is reading your IDLE CPU frequency, this is normal
3DMark Vantage is reading your full-throttle CPU frequency of 2.3GHz, this is normal.
HWinfo will read your CPU spec only, but CPUZ will read your actual core/thread in use.

Your CPU will only boost to 3.3GHz when only a single core is being used and the rest are asleep. Likewise there is another inter-mode for 2 cores between 2.3 and 3.3 as well, but not advertised.

GottiBoi55
Level 10
I agree with Marshall, you are using only half of your CPU's potential by shutting down two cores.
you need to activate the other two cores to run your CPU to it's full potential.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

Great, Thanks Marshall, it worked like a charm! 😄

When I just got the PC, I watched a video on YouTube on how to make win7 run faster.
It showed to set the cores to 4 in msconfig, which I then did.
After I read your post, I disabled the manual selection and restarted the PC.
After the restart I ran msconfig again, and this time it gave me the option to select up to 8 cores, which is what i did.
I ran the Intel E.T.U Stress test again and it is now running on all 4 cores.

Does it make any difference when selecting 8 cores or just leaving it blank?

Just for interest sake, would it be possible to overclock this CPU, and if so, how? Everything in the Intel E.T.U is grayed out. Is there some other software I could use, as the BIOS has VERY limited options...

UpperSideBand wrote:
Great, Thanks Marshall, it worked like a charm! 😄

Does it make any difference when selecting 8 cores or just leaving it blank?

Windows by default in system configuration the "number of processes" in advanced is unchecked.
I would leave that unchecked.

Good luck, and enjoy!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

c_man
Level 11
My first advice, REMOVE that Intel prog now, before you damage the laptop.
My second one, stop using any tutorial about making things faster or better if you have no idea what you are doing.

If G75 works well, it will do so just right out of the box and with OS taking care of things.

There are a few tweaks around, but most of them are more or less placebo since it will give you like 1-2% speed increase in benchmarks and we don't play benchmarks, do we?

So, make everything default, even the BIOS and just run a test to see if all is OK with the system itself.

Vantage is a great tool for stress, since most games will never go above that. Furmark is another, but do not run the benchmark since it will stress the GPU more than needed - just set it up and run it in FHD for 10min. There is one more program to test/stress the system, Heaven benchmark. All these should be more than OK for the overall GPU/system performance test for numbers and cooling.

For the CPU you can use Prime. It will test the 4 cores/ 8 threads to their full potential. When all 4 cores are under load, the boost will max at 3.1Ghz. Run that for about 30min and see if the system can keep the clocks or not. Now thing is if the system cannot, it's not really defective since Intel does not guarantee the boost.