ROG Enthusiast Array

Question Cooling suggestions!

Hey guys. I have a gene with a hyper 212+ which I am happy with so far. But I gotta admit it does not look too pretty. So my question is with traditional block air heat sinks the overall air flow is not too affected (correct me if I am wrong), what about one of those closed-loop coolers? (H100i) Now they do look more attractive overall but with the radiator hanging around in the interior of the case, it seems logical to me that it would produce more heat inside a case (even though the fans are sucking air out) thus raising the rig's temp in side as a whole. Is my concept wrong? Does a closed-loop radiator affect the case's temperature and drastically affect the overall air flow of the case?

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Area 66's Avatar

Usually the rad is mount at the top of the case, where other fans push air outside, so they are no real temperature build up... What case are you using ?

ROG Enthusiast Array

I'm using the CM storm stryker. If I were to do that, I would have to take out the 200mm fan out from the top. Is it worth it?

if you where using a H80, you can place it where is the fan over the IO plate, but the H100i as 2 ( 4) fans, so you have to remove the 200 and place the rad there. Of course it worth, the 2 or 4 rads fan will blow more air outside ( especially with 4 fans )

ROG Enthusiast Array

Alrightty thanks 66. I think I'll pick up the h100 if its on sale this Friday

post some pics.....

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

The only temp may rise if you're using the H100 is the VRM's... you won't see it just experience it's effect...

The thing is that classical air-coolers provides a very good airflow over the mobo... when using a waterblock on the CPU this flow disappears... - so, just have to pay some attention...

In my experience, having the H100 on top as intake is the best solution... it blows directly on the VRM and RAM...

Just be sure that you equilibrate the overall airflow in the case... to much intake fans versus exhaust ones may cause hot air build ups...

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

I had similar concerns when i first planned my build. I have an nzxt phantom with an x79 setup that requires vrm cooling to reach higher clocks. I had the h100 installed to the top of the case blowing air through the rad and out the top. I did some testing with 2 fans running on the radiator and with no other system fans... cpu temps were always fine but it started throttling at 4.7ish. Then i turned on the side panel fan on the phantom and i hit 5ghz with no issues- not a big leap but it can be voltage wise.

When i put my hand in the case to check the airflow, i felt air coming down from the radiator and for a second i thought i mounted the fans in reverse. but no.

Not all of the air pushed through the radiator will actually go through it. The air was pushing backwards onto the board! That's not good for internal pressures particularly if its warm air. There was greater pressure coming from the backdraft than there was coming out from the other side of the rad/top of the case.

So i would say if you plan to use a h100, make sure you do set it up in a push/pull configuration. It is a must to ensure air gets channeled properly through the rad as it was designed. This is despite the quality of the fans in the first place.

For its size, the h100 delivers and i think you'll be happy it. But it is small so i had a look around and i came across silverstone's air penetrator series fans. They are slimline, quite and specifically designed to focus airflow.. and when used with rubber gaskets, you can further seal off any escaping air around the sides.

i would love to hear about your results with your setup.

Daveo
    Last edited by Daveo; 11-23-2012 at 06:15 AM.