cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storm Trooper fan upgrade?

shiver2k12
Level 7
Hi everyone,

Just put my order in for my new rig, which is; Asus Rampage IV Extreme Moby, I7 3820 (couldn't afford a 3930k or justify its price) paired with a H100i, 4x8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 670 FTW GPU, Seasonic 1250W PSU and a Dell 2412M.

Now just need to decide on some air cooling fans. Made an order for 6xSP120 High Performance fans and a AF140 at the top, but have now cancel them as been looking at the Apache fans.

My intention is to fit a fan in every insert available, so I was thinking 2xfront,2xbottom,2xside (all intake), then 1xback,2xtop(into h100) then 2xtop(1x140 and 1x100 (2000 rpm) outake, is this overkill?:-$.

Any advise as to amount of fans or recommendations as to brand would be highly appreciated, Im new at this cooling stuff :-/.
6 REPLIES 6

Krindor
Level 11
Send the Vengeance back and change ram, the X79 don't like them at all, a lot of the posts on the X79 forum is about issues with these...

If you're aiming for silent build look at noiseblocker fans. Eloop is pretty silent at around 1000rpm. I have 1 silent pro in my build and I don't hear it at all.
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

Zka17
Level 16
Those Corsair fans are pretty good... why did you cancel your order? You can find silent fans on Corsair too... also, for your H100i radiator you need different fans then for the case - better to have high static pressure ones on the rad...

My ever favorites fans are the Cougars... :cool: Noctua also makes some excellent ones if you like their color scheme...

And yes, try to avoid the Vengeance series RAMs on the X79 platform...

Thanks for the replies, are the sp120 that loud? Setting up a push pull and was going to fill every available fan slot, with sp120 and a 140 corsair quiet (just because they don't yet make this size in performance) or aerocool shark. Just looking for the highest air cooling performance for a reasonable amount of money, is there anymore suggestions?

TenBlade
Level 11
You should look into Arctic Cooling, very silent, very durable bearings, and reasonable price. If you want diodes on them, though, you´ll have to fit them yourself.

Decided to go noctua all the way, apart from my h100i. Thanks for everyones input, appreciate the help.

Karmageddon
Level 7
I have a pair of sp 120's on my RAD and running at a full 12V they are indeed loud, however they come with an undervolting wire which you just plug the fan into that and then plug it into the mobo and its quieter.

My Build

I7 3730k at 4.7 ghz
H100
16gb Corsair Dominator GT RAM at 1866 mhz
2 x Asus GTX DCU2 670's overclocked at 1258 mhz
1 x 1tb Storage Drive
1 x 2 tb Game Drive
1x 60 gb SSD Boot Drive
CoolerMaster HAF X
Kingwin Lazer 1000w