cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible WiFI performance

cbpagent72
Level 7
I have owned my G75VW since mid July and my only complaint besides the crappy speakers is the pathetic WiFI performance. I have had really slow wifi transfer and speed rates since day one of ownership. I build my own computers and I am a computer forensics agent with the federal government so I am not a inexperienced user. I started out with a Linksys Ea4200 dual band router and have since upgraded to a Netgear R6300 wireless AC dual band router. I have ran Windows 7 with stock ASUS WiFI drivers and recently upgraded to Windows 8 using stock ASUS Windows 8 WiFI drivers. With all of these changes the WiFI has remained consistently slow. The download speeds I get are half off what I get on my android phones and tablets. My file transfer speeds to my Qnap TS-269 pro NAS are approximately 1 to 2 megabytes per second, that is pathetic. I am never more than 25 feet away from the router and I have standard drywall walls. Is anyone experiencing these issues and have you fixed them?

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Note 2
12 REPLIES 12

Apexing
Level 9
well first, does your phone and tablet connect to the 5ghz, im assuming its 2.4 and 5ghz wifi you have since its dual band?
since laptop can only connect to the 2.4ghz. Tried different chanels ? some might be very busy, test it with an android app to see what chanels are being used around you. How was you wifi prior to update, did you do clean install or just upgrade?

Apexing wrote:
well first, does your phone and tablet connect to the 5ghz, im assuming its 2.4 and 5ghz wifi you have since its dual band?
since laptop can only connect to the 2.4ghz. Tried different chanels ? some might be very busy, test it with an android app to see what chanels are being used around you. How was you wifi prior to update, did you do clean install or just upgrade?

My previous post my Wifi performance has been slow on Windows 7 and 8 and with both wireless routers and driver updates have not helped. My Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S3 and Tablet connect using the 2.4GHZ spectrum. I have tried changing channels and it doesn't work. With all of the factors that I have described it is pretty easy to elimate everything else except the G75VW WiFi adapter. I am pretty certain it is a hardware issue.

cbpagent72 wrote:
My previous post my Wifi performance has been slow on Windows 7 and 8 and with both wireless routers and driver updates have not helped. My Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S3 and Tablet connect using the 2.4GHZ spectrum. I have tried changing channels and it doesn't work. With all of the factors that I have described it is pretty easy to elimate everything else except the G75VW WiFi adapter. I am pretty certain it is a hardware issue.
ok so you are certain that its an hardware issue, then attempt to get it replace, see if that solves it.Have you tried getting drivers directly from wifi manifacture?
I havent really tested my own wifi, but I don´t feel like its needed since it does not feel slow, think im getting 20mb when transfering files to my ps3 trough wifi from the laptop.

dstrakele
Level 14
Folks that are resolving their Atheros WiFi issues are using more recent drivers than those on the ASUS website along with WPA2 Security with AES Encryption.

What kind of signal strength are you receiving from the router? If low, you may have a disconnected antenna.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Mine worked as expected... terribly... between 35 and 50 Mbps down, and 10 up, on a 105mbps connection... I replaced the stock card for an Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300... The card was performing as it should, on a 2.4ghz network... It was maxing out... I suggest replacing the card if you see the same results as I did, but still not up to par with your connection... wait for an upcmoming PCI-E AC Dual-Band card... After the new card, connecting to the 5ghz, I get my full connection speed over wifi...

It sounds like your router settings need to optimized to WPA2-PSK...
G75VW-DS73-3D | 670m 3GB | 32GB RAM | 1TB RAID-0 2 x 830 512GB SSD DualBoot | Killer-N 1103 WiFi

SUKARA
Level 10
If convenient!
Maybe you can try to desabled another Wireless signal(ex: BT.WIDI...) and test again!

brievolz84
Level 7
I agree with the OP, I've read the specs on my G75VW and the WiFi card should be b, g and n but it only works in b or g. I've tested this with my Linksys e4200v2 and put both frequencies (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) in wireless N only and the G75VW cannot connect to either and it can't even see the 5Ghz band; my Samsung Galaxy Note can see and connect to the 5Ghz band. I purchased this router so I could get faster internal network speed for transferring files between my computers wirelessly i.e. file sharing and network backups. This is the supposed WiFi card: Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter. And this is the driver version: 9.2.0.469.

As of right now, I have a D-link wireless N usb adapter connected to this computer so I can get 802.11-n speeds
Asus G75VW-TS71:
Intel Core i7 3610QM
NVIDIA GTX660M
12GB RAM
500GB Hard Drive 5400rpm
6x Blu-Ray reader/DVD R/RW

Currently:
Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

"The unwanting soul sees whats hidden; the ever-wanting soul only sees what it wants" --Lao Tzu Tao de Chang

I don´t agree with you.
I play in lan with wifi (more than 10 people) and still have a good performance, null lag, etc...
The problem should be your internet, not the computer.

I had this same problem last night and thought I had a virus. After installing the new Atheos driver and then running all the normal virus stuff I started to really poke into the wifi card. I have the Atheros AR9485WB-EG. Under power managament of Divice properties I turned off the selection that says "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" Once I unselected the check box the card reset and I started getting the normal upload and download speeds
Try that and let me know if that works for you?

I was going to post this and ask if the G75VW can handle the power drian of a G15 Keyboard while its plugged in.....(I know not plugged in slows everything down? Anyone have issues like that