cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trouble with ssd

hazard99
Level 7
So I have G73sw with 16 gigs of ram and the gtx 460m. I recently bought a kingston 64 v200. At first the drive worked great, then I started to notice that my computer would lock up and eventually I would have to do a hard restart. I swapped the drive out only two find that the new one could not be seen by my bios. I swapped a 3 and this one showed in the bios and everything seemed to be working correctly. Problem is when I installed windows 8 preview It took more than 1 hour to install.

I was not use to it taking so long. I figured its possible. I started to install my software and it kept freezing and locking up. I thought this was my 3rd drive no way it could be bad already. I proceeded to try another install(Yes I know bad for a ssd) This time I would hear the disk drive spin up every 3 minutes or so. It would install about 2 percent every 3 or 4 minutes. I tried every which way from sunday. I tried both hard drive bay's and still the same results. I swapped to different disk and still same results.

So at this point I am beyond fustrated. I can't tell if the drive is bad or not but it behaves like it is. The first one works but it malfunctions every so often. I decided to try on a different laptop. Windows 7 installed as fast as could be , that would tell me something is wrong with my laptop right? At this point I am not so sure, because when I installed my momentus xt hdd everything installed normally and its up and running with no on my g73 problems.

So I am confused here. What am i doing wrong aside from buying what seems like a very cheap line of ssd's. I am on bios version 205 I considered updating but was a bit nervous to do so.

Happy thanks giving guys and thanks in advance for any input given.

Oh and yes I know to contact support.
7 REPLIES 7

Gorman
Level 12
Contact the customer service for the SSD and ask them for help.

hazard99
Level 7
I'm fully aware of tech support. I'm asking here because maybe there was something I didnt try. While I understand you trying to provide (common sense) help I would appreciate if anyone else can chime in.

For the record I will be contacting them tomorrow. I just figured some people might have a little info.

dstrakele
Level 14
Happy Thanksgiving, @hazard!

I.can think of a couple of things to try :

1) Make sure the SATA Configuration in your BIOS is set to AHCI. While you're in there, choose to "Load Optimized Defaults", then Save & Exit.

2) Sometimes the SSD firmware and laptop BIOS just don't get along. Check to see if your SSD has the most recent firmware version.

3) Lastly, because the SSD firmware and laptop BIOS may not get along, consider updating your notebook BIOS. Study the proper way to flash a BIOS using. EasyFlash. Any problems here could render your system unusable. Be aware that another SSD brand with different firmware may not exhibit the problems you experience.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Thank you for your reply. I believe 205 bios is the latest that asus shows on their website. The ssd also shows it is the latest firmware for the drive.

Happy thanks giving once again.

dstrakele
Level 14
What about AHCI and Loading Optimized Defaults? If that checks out I'd probably go with a Samsung or Intel SSD. Folks on this Forum seem to have more success with those brands.

I work at the store where I got the drive from. I want to keep the drive , so I took the original back. I will be Rma'ing it first chance I get which is on monday.

This drive is the one that would get hot and disconnect. Now I recently cleaned out my entire machine and I dont use it on my lap. I dont find it reasonable that its getting this hot. I cant help but wonder if its something I am doing wrong. Right now I am testing it in a secondary baby using only specific programs from it. That way it doesnt prevent me from loading windows.

dstrakele
Level 14
Your report of the drive getting hot and disconnecting sounds more like a defective drive than you doing anything wrong. I'd probably load up HWINFO64 and check temperature and S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive.

I think the drive just needs a good throwing away. But let Kingston do that and send you a new drive for your trouble. Lightning may strike and you might get one that actually works...