cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project - Saturday Night Special

Markl
Level 7
Wasn't really sure what to call it, I thought this might be appropriate. It's not a over the top mod, just something most experienced builders can do. Standard HAF X 942 case, Maximus V Formula with a I7 3770k, 16gb Gskill 2100 Ram and a XSPC RX360 D5 kit. The rest of the specs are in my sig. So the basic case, throw in a cpu, ram, motherboard, watercooling and a few lights and you have a Saturday Night Special.

Installed a Lamptron Touch to run the fans, added a second 200mm fan to the top, wired up some red leds for the 2 top fans. They don't show up alot as the fans are black, but some red does come thru, just right for me. I wired up a separate circuit with a switch so I can kill all the lighting if I want to. As for lights, went with Sunsticks, a Red and a UV. I was concerned that the UV wouldn't do anything, aha! It worked out beautifully! I mounted in facing down on the outside door and it reacts with the tubing perfectly while I got the Red on the bottom facing up and it doesn't hurt with the Red door fan. The CPU block came with Blue leds and I like the look, so it's staying for now.

I leaked checked the system Friday night into Saturday for 12 hours with no issues and over the weekend finished up the details and wiring, software installation and such. I haven't overclocked it yet, but it ran Prime95 as a baseline and never went over 50C. For giggles I cranked my GTX580 up to 950 and it never went over 46C, so it can be played with some more. Really liking what I see so far.

Had issues at first getting the screw posts to bottom out into the backplate. I think the springs were not going into the recess of the lower knob causing the problem as it eventually went together as expected.

Had some issues with the 360 Radiator hitting the 3/8" barb on the motherboard.

Decided to notch the corner of the fan it was hitting on and then offset the mount of the radiator

Not sure why these are kind of fuzzy if it's my camera or the UV.

I'll post some daylight pics with the door off tomorrow if I get time. I have a couple of changes I still need to make, I found out I need 2 90 fittings, one for off the GPU block back to the Res and one for the Fill hole on the res so I don't have to keep taking it out. I have the adapter and a new cap, but no room, need a swivel 90.

Again, nothing fantastic, just my first water cooling build with lighting. Was fun putting it together and looks really cool in the dark! Wife says it looks like a Arcade game :cool:
| Chassi: HAF 942 Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Formula | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2100mhz | GPU: EVGA GTX 580 | PSU: Corsair AX750
| SSD: Samsung 830 128gb (OS) | WD Sata Velociraptor 600gb (Data Drive)
| Monitors: 3 Dell 21" FP w/TH2Go | Cooling: XSPC RX360 Custom Loop
0 REPLIES 0