cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH - random freezes/GSOD/VSOD/BSOD AND has been through an RMA.

Retired
Not applicable
This laptop has been causing me problems ever since I bought it. Initially it was all static noises/overheating gpu/ loud fans/ broken keypad/etc - all at once. I finally had time to send it in for an RMA recently which fixed most of the hardware issues and now am experiencing the vertical blue/green lines, sometimes purple screens and random freezing in windows, sometimes when doing nothing at all.

I have updated the BIOS to 211, the vBIOS to latest version and am running catalyst 11.5 drivers. When I run furmark it doesn't crash on me.

Any other solutions would be appreciated.

edit: and I have the 11.5b RC5 hotfix
21 REPLIES 21

xeromist
Is the blue/green problem something that can be reliably reproduced in some fashion? I know you said that it happens randomly but can you also cause it to happen?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
i made some typos the BIOS is 213, and the grey/blue screen usually happens when running SC2 usually after a few minutes, although the freezing occurs randomly without me causing it to do anything. Chastity guided me through reseting to defaults (BIOS ) as well as updating the firmware for the harddrives and that managed to take care of the timing - blue vertical lines and random freezing still occur just less frequently than before. So that kind of fixed the issue that it doesn't happen as often as it used to but once in a while it still happens.

more stuff: usually when i start SC2 - my screen starts to flicker or "video stutter" so it's like a warning that it's about to BSOD and if i dont exit it will give me the BSOD. If i exit before the BSOD my windows has weird graphic issues.

pavmastap wrote:
usually when i start SC2 - my screen starts to flicker or "video stutter" so it's like a warning that it's about to BSOD and if i dont exit it will give me the BSOD. If i exit before the BSOD my windows has weird graphic issues.

I know that last year people were having problems with the SC2 menus. Basically it was rendering like 1000FPS and some GPU's couldn't take the stress. I assume this should have been fixed but you might want to look into manually limiting the framerate in the config files.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
thanks for the reply but Im not sure how to change that but maybe related - sc2 doesnt recognize my card since it's default settings says medium when recommended specs are exactly what the 5870 is for max and runs well under max or whatever it's called.

it's weird - some days it runs fine for hours, other days it vertical lines me after 3 mins for the hour.

ALSO - the random freezing still happens everyday which isnt video game related. most times either browsing or just doing absolutely nothing. Usually while idle.

Chastity
Level 10
@pavmastap: try uninstalling Intel RST drivers and use the MS AHQI ones.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

xeromist
Ah OK, I thought you mainly had the problem when the game loaded (which would be when you get a menu). The problem that I mentioned was really only happening in the menu and not during gameplay.

I would check the Windows event log if you haven't already to see if anything there coincides with your lockups. You might get lucky and find an error which tells you exactly what is going wrong.

Retired
Not applicable
no luck.

I've followed all the instructions generously given by Chastity and have:

1. updated BIOS to 213 and reset to defaults
2. updated the vBIOS
3. updated to catalyst 11.5b
4. got rid of the intel drivers and running on ms drivers
5. upgraded the SATA firmware

I am still getting vertical lines - tried it on multiple games - so it's not only sc2
I am still experiencing freezing. I had to write this out twice because it froze on me the first time...

I've even written emails to asus but have been ignored.
I'm a very disgruntled customer.

Retired
Not applicable
my comp is freezing probably more often than before. around every 15minutes. Usually just idling or browsing. I'm debating running a fresh OS install.

when I'm alt-tabbing between video games, some display things happen like boxes or blotchy sections, but when i alt tab back into the game it doesnt appear anymore, some examples: http://imgur.com/zxpMfl&STcpB?full

Retired
Not applicable
I am on the same ground as you, random lockup.
I will do freash win7 install and start from there.

This is very annoying situation.
I have a thread - clean thread about G73h trouble, if you wanna follow my developpement about my issue...

Wish you luck.