Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Area 66's Avatar

I'm may be wrong, but I think Intel will put they main stream i3 ( like) solder on the board and they will keep their enthusiast CPU on socket, probably more than 99% of peoples will never change their CPU. The Xeon will probably stay on socket, so it will not cost to much more to produce their desktop equivalent

No Longer Works at ASUS Array

Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    Hey! Hey! You are getting paid...not me! We get to do the fun stuff, you get to take care of the dough stuff.
    I told you you could split Raja's pay didn't I?

But I do believe I called it back in my first post, saying how tech journalism these days tends to play rather fast and loose with the facts. What I want to know, is what will it take to get AMD and Intel to go back to using a joint socket/slot design like the old Socket 7 days. No more of this AMD or Intel only BS, you can buy a single board and you only have to make sure the CPU is of the right design, not who made it.

No Longer Works at ASUS Array

Quote Originally Posted by Area 66 View Post
    I'm may be wrong, but I think Intel will put they main stream i3 ( like) solder on the board and they will keep their enthusiast CPU on socket, probably more than 99% of peoples will never change their CPU. The Xeon will probably stay on socket, so it will not cost to much more to produce their desktop equivalent
    I could actually see them doing this with the low end and very high end. The i3 is going to generally be for people who just want to do email and web browsing, and the Xeon is generally going to be for people building 24/7 servers and will have very expensive support contracts meaning they won't be touching the insides of the unit. Leaving the i5 and i7 left more or less as-is for people who want to build their own. Whether or not this would be cost effective, let alone save money, I have no idea.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Area 66's Avatar

I don't thing company will buy 2 Xeons at $ 2,500 each servers solder on a motherboard, I don't mind to keep an extra $ 600 motherboard in stock in case but we are talking about $ 6000 here.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6