cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73SW Notebook Cooler Help

Retired
Not applicable
I'm in the market for a Notebook cooler. I have read some reviews and posts about different ones but mostly for the JH /W models and I don't know if what is said about them can be applied to the SW.

When I purchased my G73 I also picked up a CoolerMasters SF19 (usb2 v.) and currently unsure about it so would like some personal feedback on other coolers for my needs / likes.

- I'm not fond of the incline on the SF19, would like something that isn't so thick.
- Plugged in it is quite loud, because of this I just have it on USB most of the time.
- Like the USB hub.

While I was looking around it seems that one big fan is better then little ones because of more CFM and less power needed. (If this isn't correct someone please let me know.)

The current coolers I am looking at (to replace the SF19) are the Zalaman NC3000U and the Thermaltake Massive23 LT
I'm leaning more towards the Massive23 because it seems to be the better deal and the Zalaman doesn't seem to be any better.
If the Zalaman is better and worth the 20$ more please let me know.
If there is some other Cooler I should consider please post.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

For people that like stats...
Zalaman NC3000U
Dimensions: 14.37" x 15.75" x 2.36" (365(L) x 400(W) x 60(H) mm)
Weight: 2.64 lbs. (1.2kg )
Materials: Aluminum, Plastic
Fan: 220mm/Axial Fan
RPM: 620~720rpm ± 10 %
Noise: 17~23dBA ± 10 %
CFM: 39.2 at 620rpm (3.4V) 45.4 at 720rpm (4.2V)
3 USB Ports

Thermaltake Massive23 LT
Heatsink Dimension: 14.8" (L) x 11.81" (W) x 2.03" (H) 376 (L) x 300 (W) x 51.5 (H) mm
Weight: 900 g / 1.98 lb
Materials: Aluminum & Plastic
Fan Dimension: 200 x 200 x 20 mm
Fan Speed: 600 ± 10% RPM
Noise Level: 17 dBA
CFM: 54.6
Max. Air Pressure: 0.32 mmH2O
2 USB Ports
4 REPLIES 4

Chastity
Level 10
If you plan on using it on your lap, avoid the Massive23
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Chastity wrote:
If you plan on using it on your lap, avoid the Massive23

The both look to have the same L form, why would the zalman be better suited for lap use over the other?
Aside from that, is the massive the better choice of the two?

Retired
Not applicable
I've been using the SF19 and it works great so far. The USB hub has been the main bonus, mainly because my G73jh seems to have some problems powering too much through USB. My headphone amp would frequently crackle and pop, and then lose power; and I don't think it was getting the full power it needed. So far, using the hub on the SF19 I have had no problems at all. I was worried if I was using the pad right in order to get the best cooling capability out of it, but when I looked on the Coolmaster website (http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3016) and realized the pad seemed to be designed specifically for the G73, I felt a lot better about it. Yes, It's pretty big; but for long gaming sessions I don't think it can be beat by much.

As for portability/comfort, I'm actually working on ways to modify the cooler so it's more organized and comfortable to use. I mounted my USB soundcard onto the back so it wouldn't get in the way and im still trying out different ideas to make things as compact/organized as possible.

Nervosa wrote:
The both look to have the same L form, why would the zalman be better suited for lap use over the other?
Aside from that, is the massive the better choice of the two?

The L-shape coolers put the weight on the L bend, and therefore into your lap. My most comfy for lap use is the Targus ChillMat. It's quiet, nicely padded, good angle and support, and I don't even use the fans, as my G73 is cool all by itself.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]