cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx Laptop - Booting problem

Airbird
Level 7
Hello,

I need some help. As I was playing Battlefield 3 my computer shut down... logging off all of my program one by one and than shutting down windows it self. When I started it back up it gets past Asus BIOS screen and sits at a black screen with a flashing dash in the upper left corner.

I tried using the windows 7 install disk that I made using one of the pin topics. When I load that up it gives me the options to restore, check for problems, check memory. I tried all of them. The check for problems doesn't work, it says "If you have recently attached a device to this computer such as camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer." nothing is attached besides the power. Doing a system restore to the furtherest settings 11/22/2012 does nothing after it's completed to help with the problem. I do not have a "system image recovery" and the window memory diagnostic doesn't do anything after it ask to restart...

I'm lost. Can I reinstall windows? and how?
4 REPLIES 4

Airbird
Level 7
I've done no changes over the last few days... installing drivers etc...

Update: My other laptop hard drive works fine in the Asus laptop... now is the hard drive bad or just need reinstall windows again... I just don't know how to do that with the current disk I have.

Pitcher1
Level 9
hi, did you try press F9 to recover your OS or if you win image also are able to install all driver and utility in ASUS support site.
how is your HD install in your other laptop, is ok or not?

Shawnnepc
Level 13
I assume that you can't even get into safe mode? Press f8 right after ASUS POST screen and select 'Safe Mode'

If you can get to that point let us know.

If not I would run a HDD test using the following bootable CD: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

Run the HDD based on the model of your hard drive.

It's most likely Seagate if purchased in N. America
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com