cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JW-XA1 Dead Pixels - Warranty Question

irdmoose
Level 10
Hello, friends.

I'm currently away from home and unable to consult my warranty, and the warranty on the website isn't exactly helpful (either that or I'm looking in the wrong place). I purchased my laptop in December 2010, and just today I noticed some new dead pixels crop up. It looks like there's a cluster of 3 or 4 in one spot and a few others spread around the screen in random locations.

The question is: does the Asus warranty cover dead pixels, and if so what's the standard for a replacement (i.e. 1 dead pixel on the screen or something like 10 dead pixels in 1 square inch, etc.)?

If it's not covered by any warranty then I may just save up and replace it with the display assembly from a 3DE since I prefer the matte display, and the 3D capability would be nice as well.

Thanks all,
Moose
12 REPLIES 12

xeromist
Are they stuck or dead? I've heard some people have success with gently rubbing the spot to revive them. I'm not sure what the warranty on the screen is though. Maybe someone else has that info handy.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

irdmoose
Level 10
My guess is they're dead. There's 4 of them that are black in a square pattern about 3" from the bottom, then there's a line of them an inch above that, and finally there's 3 or 4 in random spots in the display. They're all black. I don't want to massage the display since I've never had luck doing that before with dead pixels.

What really bites is this is a new phenomenon. They just showed up in the last day or so. I know because I notice things like that VERY easily, and they weren't like that during the Amazon return policy since I ran an LCD test app during the first month that I had it.

xeromist
That's a bit more extensive then it sounded like at first 😞 I wish you luck!
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Chastity
Level 10
Personally, I would just replace the panel with something you want, especially if you were thinking of upgrading it.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

irdmoose
Level 10
If I were to replace the panel with one from a 3DE, would I be able to use the features of the 3DE? Do you know if this upgrade would work, or am I pretty much stuck?

Retired
Not applicable
the cheapest way is to replace the LCD yourself. its actually not that hard:
http://www.screentekinc.com/search-lcd-screen.shtml?lcds_product=g73&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0&method=se...

irdmoose
Level 10
Cheapest? Are dead pixels not covered under the warranty? If they are, then wouldn't a warranty repair be cheapest?

Also, I'm still curious if I'd be able to access the 3D features if I installed a 3DE display.

xeromist
In order for 3D to work you would also need the emitter. If the emitter circuitry is included with the screen then maybe you could mod the case to add a hole for it?

Mason
Level 10
Yes, dead pixels on notebooks are covered under your warranty as your warranty hasn't expired.