cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot enable 2xDual Link DVI on Matrix 7970 Platinum - help

zabusa
Level 7
I know theres a switch that lets you turn off one of the display ports, and enable the 2ndary (right most, or furthest away from the mobo when installed) DVI to be dual link. Is it the one beside the Crossfire connection? looks like the dual BIOS switch?

I cant seem to get my Crossover to work on that connection, am i supposed to flip the switch before turning the computer on?

My 120hz 1440p should be arriving next week and id like for that to be on the primary DVI while my current 60hz 1440p CrossOver LED-P is on the other DVI connection.

I've verified the DVI works in SL mode as well as when attached to a tv via a DVI -> HDMI adapter.

In the end i want this setup

Primary DL-DVI : 120hz 1440p Monitor
Secondary DL-DVI (via switch): 60hz 1440p Monitor
DisplayPort to HDMI (via adapter): 720 HDTV (maybe 1080 in the future)

It should be possible to have both DVI's work in dual mode correct? Or are both Single Link, but when you flip a switch one of them disables a Display Port and enables Dual Link?

It was one of the reasons why i purchased the Matrix...

Any help or clarification would be appreciated
8 REPLIES 8

oldbrave
Level 9
From your confusion it seems to me that you've failed to do one important thing and that's read the manual !
Electronic Smoke Signals From my TechnoTeepee
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5162Mhz [21x245] 1.546v 🙂
Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=52c
32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.5 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

I cant find the manual, its not anywhere for download on the Asus product page and i dont think anything other than the quick start was in the box.

So...what does your manual say?]

Well F*CK

"However, it is important to remember that screens with a resolution above 1080P can’t be plugged into the “VGA”-labeled DVI output since it is single link only and won’t output an ultra high definition signal. In addition, the BIOS switch into its secondary position may results all of the display outputs becoming active for 6-monitor gaming possibilities but it also downgrades the two DVI outputs to single link status. This means if you have a 1920x1200 resolution or higher monitor, accidentally slipping the BIOS into its non-default position will cause a lack of signal."

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/57894-asus-hd-7970-3gb-matrix-platinum...

Why the eff does it even have a DVI out that has 24pins, it looks exactly like a DL-DVI. The VGA should have 2x9pin connectors since it can only do SL max.

Way to go.

Rossi_
Level 9
The DVI connector labelled 'VGA' is single link.
The other DVI connector that is outlined with a DP connector is either Dual Link with the outlined DP connection disabled or switching the 'BIOS' switch the other way will turn it Single Link with the DP connector enabled.

Nowhere does it say 2x DL DVI

Yes you could look at the connectors and assume they are, but that's the same with the MSI Lightning.

Also, here's a quote from a review:

For the card's connectivity, it allows up to four DisplayPort connections and two DVI connections all at the same time. However, there is a catch with this configuration, if a user uses up all four of the DisplayPorts, both of the DVI will only be able to operate in single-link mode or use 1x dual-link DVI and 1x single-link DVI with only three DisplayPorts enabled. The switching between these display configuration is done via the BIOS switch.

Yes it says

1xsingle link
1xdual link
4xdisplay port

then you read the product page, and the picture with the switch it says it disables a display port to enable dual link, so it would be reasonable to think it would then be

2xdual link
3xdisplay port (if dual link enabled)

Otherwise it SHOULD say

2xsingle link
4xdisplay port
* One dvi can be enabled for Dual Link if switch used, disabling a display port

Or something similiar. One should not have to hunt reviews for clarification.

zabusa wrote:
Yes it says

1xsingle link
1xdual link
4xdisplay port

then you read the product page, and the picture with the switch it says it disables a display port to enable dual link, so it would be reasonable to think it would then be

2xdual link

Otherwise it SHOULD say

2xsingle link
4xdisplay port

Yeah, that's what I always thought it was too. Apparently I've been giving people the wrong information then.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

zabusa wrote:
Yes it says

1xsingle link
1xdual link
4xdisplay port

2xdual link

Otherwise it SHOULD say

2xsingle link
4xdisplay port

The standard specs tell you 1x DL DVI. Never assume or think manufacturers are going to give you the benefit of the doubt.
Indeed the specs should clarify this, definitely. But hey, from their point of view, you've bought it now, deal with it aye? 😉

You don't need to hunt reviews and user experience of the product before buying it yourself, but as a general rule of purchasing ANYTHING, you should.

Hell, at least you get DL on these cards. You don't get DL on the MSI lightnings but they have the DVI-D connectors to make you think they are.

When purchasing a $500 - you can be damned sure i did my best to make sure Id know what i was getting myself into.

Product page says
1xDL DVI
1xSL DVI
4xDisplay Port
* flip a switch, enable DL but lose a Displayport, without actually having the card i think it is quite reasonable to assume they were talking about the 1xSL -> DL, 4xDisplay Port > 3xDisplay Port

On top of that both the DVI connectors look like Dual Link 24pin connectors.

Also - standard specs are 12phase voltage, and 925mhz core/1375 mhz - but for a premium card, again...2xDL DVI would not be unreasonable to expect

Sucks for me cuz i bought it thinking it would support my 2x1440p displays without resorting to a $130 Active Adapter.

I know im not the only one that thought this, and on a smaller community such as the ROG forums.

You should also know the limitations that could (do) apply for eyefinity 6 cards. 2xDL DVI and DP = a buttload of bandwidth required of the GPU for 2xDL DVI, it's not possible for GPU to output that amount of data over DVI interface as well as DP. That is a GPU limitation, not the card.
Eyefinity 6 cards are designed for mass multi-monitor setups. What ASUS have done here is try and give you the best of both worlds with doing their best for the DVI users by giving you this option.