cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM Problem

Hamz
Level 7
Hello, first post on these forums, i planed on registering and posting alot sooner but life has its own surprises. Anyway my recent pc problems had me do it today.

As of right now my pc is working fine, no problems like that, my problems however is that my RAM isn't performing the speed it should. Now i do apologize for making you read all that, how about i just cut to the chase? 🙂

Specs First:

MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z
Procesor: AMD FX 8150 AM3-Socket (3.6 GHz 8-Cores)
RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 8GB 2400 MHz (x2, i bought 2 of these to get the total of 16 GB)
Graphics Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5
Power Supply Unit: Cooler Master GX 650W
CPU Cooler: Corsair H70 + 2x 120mm SP Fans
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
SSD#1: OCZ Agility 128 GB with Windows 7 Ultimate
SSD#2: Crucial M4 64 GB with all my Programs
HDD#1: 1 TB Storage (Videos etc)
HDD#2: 1 TB Storage (Videos etc)

Now for my problem:

Now with my new MOBO and RAM, i cant get my my RAM which is supposed to be 2400 MHz to go any higher that 1600 MHz.
So basically im wondering if anyone can tell me how i can get my RAM to perform and work with the speed it is supposed to, which is 2400 MHz and not 1600 MHz 😞

every time i try to adjust it to 2400 MHz my pc just reboots and all my 4 eyefinity screens stay black until i press the reset button and spam the delete key which puts me into bios and then it mockingly shows me: Current Memory Frequency 1600 MHz.

This is making me rage up the flippin' walls and i am out of sollution, the only thing i can do is hope that you guys can help me or i can just tweak on my own hoping for it to magically go 2400 MHz.

Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

HiVizMan
Level 40
First of all the ram you bought was for an Intel system.

Second of all the chance of you getting your ram running at 2400MHz on a AMD system for 24/7 is near zero.

You may shoot for 2000MHz if your CPU has a very strong memory controller. But sadly 2400MHz not going to happen.

Sorry my friend.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Area_66
Level 11
Aside of what Hiviz said, yo will not even notice the difference between 1600 and 2400 , my 8150 run with 1600 ram and I enjoy it.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thanks Area 66 yes indeed, the most important part I left out my apologies.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

oh wow, i cant believe i ordered RAM for an Intel system? haha oh my god that is such an idiot mistake to accomplish, well thanks for your answers, can finally make me relax about the whole thing.

I'll play around with my settings and see if i can get it to run any higher than 1600 stable.

Only have one more question; since its for an intel based system and optimized for intel MOBOs, it wont be running bad with 1600 MHz on my AMD system will it?

also, does anyone know any extreme high-speed RAM for AMD based systems, like for example is the Corsair Vengeance what i should have gotten in the first place?

Thanks again for your answers, feel relieved and dumb at the same time 😛

Area_66
Level 11
You have to keep in mind that when you OC RAM , you need to increase some voltages, with 4 sticks it's even more. When you increase the speed you have to increase the timing of the RAM ( it's make them slower) , it's why you don't see so much gain.

here a good reading on RAM

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Understanding-RAM-Timings/26

TenBlade
Level 11
Nice link, Area 66. Thanks. Should be a sticky. I´ll stick it to my browser 😉

Hamz
Level 7
thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciated.

as for the link Area 66, thanks alot helped my understanding of RAM much more.

i only have one last question, is there any high-speed RAM designed for AMD Boards, since the Kingston HyperX was Intel Based, and yes my MOBO supports RAM speeds up to 2400 MHZ, this i indeed have checked.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I might not have been very clear and I apologise for that, while your ram was designed for Intel systems it will work on your board just fine. However you will not get the 2400MHz speed. That is all. There are very few kits of ram that are specific for AMD, Intel is king right now and ram is made for the mass markets. One key exception is AMD they market there own specific ram kits.

BUT your ram is very good, you will get great speed out of it and all it will take is some tweaking on your part. All the world records for frequency on AMD boards were done with "Intel" ram.