cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with IV Formula/i7-3820 BIOS

steakbacon
Level 7
Hey Boys & Girls, I need some serious help here. Just finished my new build, when i boot up my Debug LED's read 66 and I cant get a display to run. My specs are:

- Rampage IV Formula
- i7-3820
- 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX) **i have tried several different configurations with both single and dual
- ASUS GTX 680 (GTX680-DC2T-2GD5)
- Silverstone Strider 1000W Gold Evolution (SST-ST1000-G Evolution)

Power is all hooked up, all components are lit up and running. My DRAM-LED is stuck on red and i was getting the debug error AF. I read in some forums that when using the i7-3820 a BIOS update is required. My BIOS version was older then 1404 so i flashbacked the recommended CAP-Converter, this worked fine. My DRAM-LED is still on, but now i get the debug code 66. Tried using the USB flashback with the latest BIOS version 3204, but when i hold down the ROG CONNECT button it flashes green about 4 times then nothing happened. Any ideas?

Cheers guys
Amy

Rampage IV Formula
Intel i7-3820
Asus GTX680 DirectCU II TOP
2x8GB G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz
Silverstone Strider 1000W Gold Evolution
NXZT Phantom
V8 Cooler Master
Razer Naga Molten
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Elite
SanDisk Extreme SSD 240GB
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
10 REPLIES 10

xt-107
Level 7
error code 66 means cpu dxe initialization is started , try to reset your cpu . and use only one stick of ram
as shown below

:cool:
Intel CORE I7 3820 @ 4.2GHz -1.29 V
Asus Rampage IV Formula
Asus GTX 670 DCUT
Asus VG236H 120Hz
Asus Xonar DX
4x4 SAMSUNG 30NM 1866 8-9-9-21
Corsair Neutron GTX 125 GB
2x Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
Corsair H100
Corsair 400R
Corsair TX 650 v2

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please place one stick of ram on either side of the CPU that would be my first suggestion.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

steakbacon
Level 7
Thanks for the advice guys, when i get home tonight im going to the ram configuration you suggested HiVizMan. If that fails i will try and reset my cpu. Is it possible to do this manually xt-107 (i have no display)? Or do i just pull the motherboard battery out?
Rampage IV Formula
Intel i7-3820
NXZT Phantom
V8 Cooler Master
Razer Naga Molten
Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Necrosan
Level 12
I think he meant 'reseat' your CPU.
To reset/clear the BIOS you just press the button on the rear panel.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

Necrosan wrote:
I think he meant 'reseat' your CPU.
To reset/clear the BIOS you just press the button on the rear panel.

lol , you are right it was a typo .
:cool:
Intel CORE I7 3820 @ 4.2GHz -1.29 V
Asus Rampage IV Formula
Asus GTX 670 DCUT
Asus VG236H 120Hz
Asus Xonar DX
4x4 SAMSUNG 30NM 1866 8-9-9-21
Corsair Neutron GTX 125 GB
2x Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
Corsair H100
Corsair 400R
Corsair TX 650 v2

InnervateD
Level 10
HiVizMan is right.
I was looking at that and I'm like where's all the memory? Then I realized you probably put them all on the left channels.
Check your motherboard manual for the dual channel setup for the memory config for your board.

I just looked it up for you. You want to install a stick into B1 and D1 according to the manual for the R4F for dual channel setup. Those would be the inner slots closest to the CPU on each side.

steakbacon
Level 7
Yeah i have tried every single ram configuration, nothing is working unfortunatly. Guess i will try and reseat the cpu tonight, really wish i had built it out of case first now!! Is it possibly its not my ram, but the cpu is actually stuffed?
Rampage IV Formula
Intel i7-3820
NXZT Phantom
V8 Cooler Master
Razer Naga Molten
Seagate Barracuda 2TB

HiVizMan
Level 40
Remove your system from the case and place it on the box your motherboard came in as a temp work bench.

Remove all the components from your system, including the CPU and the motherboard battery.

All you have on the box is a naked (and rather forlorn looking) motherboard - no PSU connectors nothing connected.

Press power for a few seconds to remove any residual charge from the capacitors and then a slow three count of the Clear CMOS button. Use your manual to find out where it is if you are not 100% sure. Had a mate who swore blind his CMOS clear button was not working and called me all sorts of rude names. Brought his board over to my house and I pressed the button and cleared his CMOS. WTF he says? How did you do that, it turns out he was using the ROG connect button all the time incorrectly, I will not be needing to buy and beer for Christmas I might add, he was very apologetic.

Leave for a couple of hours and then after visually inspecting the CPU socket area, take a couple of very high res photo's while you are at it - fit the CPU again. Use only one stick of memory in the slot furtherest away from the CPU (either side) and no HDD.

Boot to BIOS.

Manually set your ram up.

If that fails change the BIOS to your B bios and start again.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

steakbacon
Level 7
Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. I am happy to report the problem has been resolved 😄
It was quite possibly a bios issue, i tried so many different solutions (repositioning ram, clearing cmos, re-flashing bios, re-booting a bajillion times), well one or the combination of all these things got it started. Its sooooo quiet, and the gpu clocks 1228 without breaking a sweat, Im in love!
Rampage IV Formula
Intel i7-3820
NXZT Phantom
V8 Cooler Master
Razer Naga Molten
Seagate Barracuda 2TB