cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75vw windows 8 USB 3.0 not working properly

jairo
Level 7
Hi,
I installed windows 8 on my new G75vw and i noticed that the transfer speed on USB 3.0 is very low, is more like USB 2.0. I transferred a movie file to my mediaplayer (Egreat R300 with internal HD and USB 3.0) and the maximum speed transfer was 38 MB/s. I think it has to be much more. There is no USB 3.0 driver for windows 8, it is supposed to be included in the installation kit. Can you help me with this issue, pls?

Any idea pls? What speeds did you get?
14 REPLIES 14

Pitcher1
Level 9

Mike_Lu@ASUS wrote:
hi, please try to install USB 3.0 driver from http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21129/eng/Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver.zip

Thanks for answering bat this driver is for windows 7, i think. I tried to install it but it says "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software"

rewben
Level 13
hi jairo, i found this (you're not alone; this topic is still under debate at intel). if you're interested, you can try this out.

it basically means the poster solved his usb 3.0 issue by using the latest chipset driver from intel. in that package, it contains the usb 3.0 drivers that work for windows 8. i found this to be the latest, instead of the original link from that post (for desktop boards).

edit: here is another alternative. if you're OK with it, then just go ahead.

The last chipset driver does not change anything, i have the same transfer speed. About the other method, i am not so comfortable to try, i have to reset windows and loose some data. i think i was wrong installing windows 8.

Clintlgm
Level 14
In my experience transferring large files using USB 3.0 you are getting good transfer speeds. That's about the same transfer speed you would get with a internal SATA 11 5400 hard drive internally!! All these super fast speeds people are talking about are benchmarks also I have found that small files will transfer quite quickly. To insure you are connecting USB 3.0 benchmark your external drives USB 2 and then USB 3 you'll see that the benchmark should be about 2.5 times faster more or less. Actual file transfer will be much slower. This is true for Internal drives as well as external drives. I have found that USB 3 is just a little slower than eSATA for actual file transfers while they will benchmark pretty much the same. All this I speak of is using the same actual hard drive same external case same computer. I find this is consistent over the three computer I have that have USB 3. I could only test the eSATA on one computer as my G75 does not have eSATA nor my Wife's HP Envy touch screen. Regardless Bench mark your external drives that will tell you if you actual have a problem.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks, i will do that benchmark on my external HD (Western Digital Caviar Green 2000GB SATA3 64MB 5400RPM -this is the model i have in mediaplayer). If you say i am getting good transfer speeds ..you made me happy 🙂 i thought it has to be 70MB+
Thanks again

Well be sure to test both usb 2 and usb 3, and let us know how you come out. If your gettng 38 mbs with that drive it sounds pretty good to me I doubt that drive would bench more that 70 mbs installed in the puter.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

JwPwns
Level 10
anyone found a solution to this yet? I've been frustrated with getting the usb 3.0 external drive to work more than 40mb per sec. I was able to get 240 read and 120 write on the desktop 3.0 ports but on my Asus G46 its 30-40 read and write. Whenever i plug it in it says this device might be faster if you connect thru usb 3.0 ports... I already have all the usb 3.0 drivers installed along with the newest one from intel few days ago. Nothing's working yet
Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro

naurto75
Level 7
You may wants o just try and reinstall the dirvers over that the simplest solution