cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 GTX690s that behave differently

Lord_D
Level 7
I have two ASUS GTX 690s and I was recently testing them by themselves. It seemed that one card overclocked and when I put the same overclock on the other card the system would hang.

System is
i7 3930k @ 4.3ghz
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
2 x GTX 690 in Quad SLI
H100 CPU Cooler
16Gb G.Skill 2133Mhz RAM

I am using EVGA Precision X 3.04 & Unigine Heaven 3.0 (1920x1080, all settings maxed)
PT 135%
GPU +120
MEM +100

On one card the benchmark finishes but when I put the other card in it lasts about 40 seconds and the system hangs.
At stock speeds both cards work fine. Any ideas on why these same cards behave differently?
PC Specs
CPU: i7 3930k @ 4.3ghz 1.28v | MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
VGA: 2x ASUS GTX690 Quad SLI | Cooling: Corsair H100
PSU: Corsair AX1200 | HDD: OCZ Vertex 3 24oGb, Seagate 3Tb
Monitor: Sony 52in | Case: Enermax Fulmo GT
5 REPLIES 5

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Did you buy both cards at the same time or at different times? surprisingly this is actually a very important question

I bought the cards about a month apart.
PC Specs
CPU: i7 3930k @ 4.3ghz 1.28v | MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
VGA: 2x ASUS GTX690 Quad SLI | Cooling: Corsair H100
PSU: Corsair AX1200 | HDD: OCZ Vertex 3 24oGb, Seagate 3Tb
Monitor: Sony 52in | Case: Enermax Fulmo GT

It's weird but from my experience I always had problems if I change GPU clock speeds above 100Mhz

My stable OC on both cards.:
PT: 135%
GPU: +100
Mem: +500

Retired
Not applicable
Hello..

This is what i think..

you got 4 chips in those cards together..

Chips perform different..

Its like when i am running 3 or 4 gpus, if any of the gpus is "bad", it will pull down the rest, regarding OC capability..

all chips are bound to pass the rated mhz, but when u take it further, you will notice the true performance of the chip..

So if you have 1 good chip, and one bad chip in the same card, the bad chip will bring down the overall performance in that card.. sadly..

And if you run them on water, it will be even more noticeable, as you push them to the limit of the physics..

I have never owned a dual card, but as i said.. This is what i think..

HiVizMan
Level 40
No video card comes with a certainty that it will overclock. All that they have to do is run the stated frequency on the box.

And sadly no two cards will ever be the same. It is for that reason that Pro benchers bin cards. We buy 10 or so at a time and keep the best 4, and then when a new revision comes out repeat the process until we have the best 4 cards we can have. So no it is not surprising or unexpected.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.