cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Problems Please help

Annthax
Level 7
Hello!

I just upgraded my computer today and I can only get my monitor to work with my HDMI cable.

I got the Rampage IV Extreme mobo
i7 3930k
H100 cooler
32gb gskill
GTX 680 SC gpu

I have tried all the pci slots and still no go with the DVI cables. I get the code A2 when i have them plugged in.

I have been looking all over to see if I can find a fix and I just cant see anything.

I have already installed windows so I know everything is working via HDMI cable but I need that cable for my Black Magic card and I run duel monitors so I need the DVI plugs to work.

Any help would be great!

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
There are two different types of DVI connectors on your video card, you will need to select the right kind for your system, or have the right kind of cable for your system. There is a switch on some cards that will allow you to enable the other DVI port.

Edited for clarity. Thanks HW
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
Actually there are 6 kinds of DVI cables (Wikipedia image):
--Wikipedia, "DVI Connector types"
Oh, I see it is not showing the type labels due to the black background, and I cannot do anything about that, so here is the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DVI_Connector_Types.svg

And now there is a new one, "DVI M1-DA," which adds USB to the cable (the graphic does not show on black background); Link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M1-DA.svg
It has three more pins and is not backward compatible.

The flat blade area - 4 pins - are for analog, rarely used for LCD ("flat-panel") monitors.
The Asus OC key only passes DVI-D single link! If your monitor is not DVI-D single-link, when you plug in the OC key you will not get a picture.

Any good modern vid card will support all 5 versions of DVI, but you do need the right cable. Look at the socket on your monitor to determine, AND consult the manual. I say consult the manual bc you may have all the pin sockets on your monitor socket, but not all might be used. If you have all the pin sockets, then you can get a cable that supports more or all: DVI-I Dual-link - or DVI-D dual-link if you figure you will never need analog; and it should support all your future purchases too - assuming the new M1-DA version will never catch on. Otherwise, you would need to get just a cable of your type, and then it may not work on your next monitor. Most monitors come with a cable, but it never hurts to have a spare to test for possible cable problems in the case that your monitor quits working. Personally, I bought one 10' long for use when I tear the computer apart for whatever reason, and don't want the monitor to need to be closeby. It also gives me more room to slide (roll, I have HAF932) the computer out for quick access without disconnecting.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

The cables worked just fine before. The GTX 680 was on my old mobo so I know it supports the DVI cables I have.

I was playing around lastnight and it will let me use a VGA able with a DVI adapter but the adapter will only work on the one DVI plug. So i still cant use both monitors.

HiVizMan
Level 40
HW = LOL yeah dude I know that there are many different kinds of actual DVI types mate, I am talking about the DVI ports on the VGA. My bad for not being clear, but thanks 😄

And this is what Annthax refers to about only one DVI port on the card working with the cable. Dual link needs to be activated via a toggle on some VGA cards to work.

Your card should however work with two monitors, but best take it up with the vendor of that card, not sure ASUS do a 680 SC card.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Well its not the card. I put another GTX card into the mobo and same thing.

I have no idea what would make the DVI ports not work......

I am lost right now..

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please go into your BIOS and change the default PCIe status to Gen2

Nodens
Level 16
And also try a different cable. Cables can get faulty over time you know:)
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.