cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH Screen or GPU issues. Red artifacts all over the screen.

Retired
Not applicable
I'm sorry if anything like this has already been posted. I haven't been able to find anything on it. I got a refurb of this laptop from Newegg. It is now out of the 90 day warranty so I'm sol. I've updated the vbios and bios. I have also done a clean install of windows and the laptop drivers from Chastity (thanks for that) twice now. Let me know if there is any other info I need to post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I've tried taking a screenshot and emailing to another PC and the screenshot looks perfectly fine if that is any help.

G73JH-RBBX05

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7 720QM(1.6GHz)
17.3"
6GB DDR3
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5
7 REPLIES 7

Retired
Not applicable
god i'm sick of this laptop. asus should just give us back our money for these models.

Chastity
Level 10
That vid card looks like it needs to be replaced. I would try and see if I could get in repaired under Asus' warranty service.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Chastity wrote:
That vid card looks like it needs to be replaced. I would try and see if I could get in repaired under Asus' warranty service.

Thanks for the reply! I did contact Asus almost two months ago about trying to get it fixed. Because it was recertified and I contacted them about it shortly after the 90 day warranty had passed (bought it in December) they wouldn't do anything to fix it. I tried Newegg where I bought it from and they couldn't do anything either.

This is very frustrating since it was actually showing signs of it immediately when I got it. I updated the drivers and thought I had fixed it. I used it for a couple of weeks and things were fine but I didn't need it until a couple of months ago so it just sat unused. When I started it back up it was even worse than before. It makes me feel like nothing was really done for it to be considered "recertified". It just shouldn't be having problems like this.

I really do appreciate the response. If there is any other advice on what I could do I would really appreciate it. I don't know if I should just try to sell it and get what I can for it. I can't imagine it would be worth the cost to try and get it fixed. Thanks!

Retired
Not applicable
I just wanted to add that the stuff on the screen isn't there when I hook it up through HDMI to a TV. It's still on the laptop screen but the image on the TV looks fine.

Chastity
Level 10
Well, that's different. The issue could be a bad LCD panel connection, or a bad LCD wire. You can open it up, or a tech can, and have him check that cable. If it's bad, you can order one from asusparts.eu. I can also suggest you sending a PM to Mason@Asus and maybe he can help you on warranty service.

If it turns out to be the panel itself, get a new one. Could be an opportunity to upgrade to a nice 1080p matte model 🙂
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for your help. I'll definitely send that PM and look into seeing if the problem is with the LCD.

Chastity wrote:
Well, that's different. The issue could be a bad LCD panel connection, or a bad LCD wire. You can open it up, or a tech can, and have him check that cable. If it's bad, you can order one from asusparts.eu. I can also suggest you sending a PM to Mason@Asus and maybe he can help you on warranty service.

If it turns out to be the panel itself, get a new one. Could be an opportunity to upgrade to a nice 1080p matte model 🙂

Retired
Not applicable
I wanted to drop a line and let people know that I was able to fix this myself. Apparently the cable behind the LCD must have been loose. Many thanks to Chastity and Mason who were a huge help. I guess that upgrade will just have to wait :). Now I just have to decide what to upgrade first, memory or HD Caddy. Definitely make backup recovery discs. That really saved me on getting everything loaded back up. Thanks again!