Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random freezes, codes 19 and 20

Retired
Not applicable
Hi,

The almost new desktop developed the following problems:

1) After a cold boot (unplugged from a socket during night) my computer usually won't start and motherboard displays debug code 19 or 20 and DRAM Led lights up. I can manage to get it working eventually with 2-3 restarts. The computer is month and half old and this started happening only in the last 5 days.

2) Usually when I manage to get to Windows it works fine, but in the last day I was getting random freezes (no BSOD) in Windows 7 64bit after 5-10 minutes or so and I had to restart it.

3) Hardware plugged into USB ports (printer, Cisco wifi dongle) is sometimes not recognized after restart.

My HW is:
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme rev b3, BIOS v1303
i7 2600K (oc to 4.5) watercooled
4x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600MHz memory
2xGeforce 580GTX watercooled in SLi

Any help appreciated 🙂

Miro
6 REPLIES 6

Joshua_Mahr
Level 9
Have you changed any hardware recently. Driver updates? Been inside the case for anything.
Foo-IX : i7-3730k 4.6Ghz/ HAF XB/ASUS Z77 Deluxe-V/ Trident X DDR3-2400 4Gbx2/ HD7970 Crossfire/ SeaSonic Platinum 1000W/ H100/ Vertex4 SSD/ 3x ASUS 23" LCD-LED

Retired
Not applicable
mirexx wrote:
Hi,

The almost new desktop developed the following problems:

1) After a cold boot (unplugged from a socket during night) my computer usually won't start and motherboard displays debug code 19 or 20 and DRAM Led lights up. I can manage to get it working eventually with 2-3 restarts. The computer is month and half old and this started happening only in the last 5 days.

2) Usually when I manage to get to Windows it works fine, but in the last day I was getting random freezes (no BSOD) in Windows 7 64bit after 5-10 minutes or so and I had to restart it.

3) Hardware plugged into USB ports (printer, Cisco wifi dongle) is sometimes not recognized after restart.

My HW is:
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme rev b3, BIOS v1303
i7 2600K (oc to 4.5) watercooled
4x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600MHz memory
2xGeforce 580GTX watercooled in SLi

Any help appreciated 🙂

Miro

R u using an ssd drive? There is an issue withSATA in the p67 boards and some SSD drives.

Retired
Not applicable
1) Yes, I installed all the new drivers found in the download section on Asus website for the MB. No hardware change.

2) Yes, my primary drive is Intel SSD 128GB. Is there any solution for the SSD/SATA problem?

Currently I'm stuck on debug code 10.

Today I am going to try to install the latest BIOS, clear CMOS and get it stable on factory settings.

Raja
Level 13
Ok cool see what happens on stock. As for the SSD, please enable "Hot Plug" in the UEFI BIOS on the SATA port that it is plugged into. Make sure to set the drive with the master boot record as the primary boot device in BIOS also.

-Raja

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks guys for your help.
It seems that the latest BIOS (1409) did the trick.
Currently the system is stable on 4.5GHZ (1.4125 V for CPU). Temperatures when running Prime don't go over 70C.
But I am bit worried about the memory voltage. It's a 1600 MHz Kingston HyperX memory, but I'm running it on 1333MHz and 1.65V (that's what the manufacturer says in the spec). Don't you think 1.65V for 1333 MHz is too much? Can I lower it to 1.5V?

And I'll change the hot-swap to enabled.

Thanks again.

Miro

mirexx wrote:
Thanks guys for your help.
It seems that the latest BIOS (1409) did the trick.
Currently the system is stable on 4.5GHZ (1.4125 V for CPU). Temperatures when running Prime don't go over 70C.
But I am bit worried about the memory voltage. It's a 1600 MHz Kingston HyperX memory, but I'm running it on 1333MHz and 1.65V (that's what the manufacturer says in the spec). Don't you think 1.65V for 1333 MHz is too much? Can I lower it to 1.5V?

And I'll change the hot-swap to enabled.

Thanks again.

Miro

You can try 1.60V if running it at DDR3-1333 (depending on the timings used).

-Raja