cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Unparking - How to unleash your currently 'limited' Ivy Bridge

mrwolf
Level 10
Ok so i have been always looking for ways to improve my little gaming monster to maximise performance and just get the most out of my £1500 :).

So far ive played ALOT of graphically intensive games. Most triple A games nowadays are very GPU intensive but one game that i thoroughly enjoy is Planetside 2 (best fps ever made IMO - $hitts all over Battlefield and COD) and in this game you are not playing toy soldiers with 64 people. You are actually part of a full scale 2000 people in one continent WAR ! So that uses serious amounts of GPU and is very very very very CPU intensive. So because of this i noticed when im in a large battle with over 800 people running around on my screen, my frame rate drops alot to like 25fps from 40-90 before ! BIG ass dropp ! so i used the ingame utility that shows me what is limiting the frames, the CPU or GPU. Turned out (what i expected in the first place) that my CPU was flashhing up when i got into these clustered situations... Now i must say Planetside 2 is highly under optimized right now and will get much better performance in the future, but for the time being it serves as a good stress test on the CPU.

Now to combat this, i initially used to Overclock my CPU to 105mhz giving it like 2 or 3 more GHZ. And this did improve my frame rate, However because of the falty fail safe and danger in doing that ALL the time i didnt OC the CPU that much. Needed an alternative.

Did a bit of searching and found out that actually laptops, no matter what processor you have are limited due to power saving settings in the bios. 3 of your 8 cores are pretty much permanently turned off.
Now alot of people disagree and say Oh windows 7 turns them on automatically when it is needed. But thats not true at all, the whole 5 months i have had this laptop, i have never ever seen those cores being used, i have done 1080p Video rendering, playing planetside 2, 3d Mark 11 CPU physics tests. And still always saw 3 cores not being used.

Anyways to cutt it short, here is how to enable all the cores on your system, just need to follow the steps on this link and should work fine and feel alot more snappy 🙂

Be warned tho that this WILL decrease battery life when unplugged and also it will use more power from your outlet. They say it reduced your life of your cpu but i highly doubt it. To me this is an essential mod but then again I urge you all to do a bit of reading and decide for yourself, dont just take my word on it.

Enjoy

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

28 REPLIES 28

jdotjdot7
Level 10
I don't know about you, but i'm idling right now with a CPU meter on, of the 8 logical processors, all 8 at least go up to 1% to 2%. I'll monitor it more but i don't see these 3 cores not being used. And in 100% honesty, there aren't 8 cores, there are 4 cores but they use a technology to simultaneously process multiple things

EDIT: In fact, i just loaded up a non-intensive game and saw all the cores go to 10-20%.
ASUS G75VW-BBK5 - 750GB + 8GB Hybrid Solid State/7200 RPM, 1TB 5400 Storage Hard Drive, i7 3610QM, GTX 660M and proud, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, runs quiet as a mouse, cool as an icebox, and three times the computer my Roomate's Macbook Pro is for $50 less.

mrwolf
Level 10
Yes i understand that it seems to perform normally on your system and you are correct there are only 4 physical cores.

Have you tried checking weather your cores are parked or no ? Because on my G75 3 cores were parked. I could see indication that it was used sometimes but never at full capacity as it is now. I would upload some screenshots but im not on my Asus right now but you can check by going onto resource monitor through task manager - performance tab.

On mine, CPU 0, 1 and 2 had parked written next to it. It still seemed to work sometimes when gaming but now its always on, full power.

Also, you gotta consider the fact that i have done a clean windows 7 install when i got my SSD and it is a Windows 7 feature to automatically park and un-park cores of the CPU depending on weather its needed or not. Maybe be could have just been my G75 but either way its worth noting. Its a good feature to save energy tho if your not always making use of it.

jdotjdot7
Level 10
Ah, i see what you mean, however, it seems that when actually needed, they are turned on then, as in 3DMark11 you still get a processor score over 7k. When playing intensive games such as Battlefield 3 and DayZ I still see them being used, i will try your method and see if anything changes but I think my laptop is bottlenecked by the GPU not the CPU. The CPU is better than most desktop i7s, the 3610QM definitely is amazing. Unless you are rendering, then i guess it is more important.
ASUS G75VW-BBK5 - 750GB + 8GB Hybrid Solid State/7200 RPM, 1TB 5400 Storage Hard Drive, i7 3610QM, GTX 660M and proud, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, runs quiet as a mouse, cool as an icebox, and three times the computer my Roomate's Macbook Pro is for $50 less.

mrwolf
Level 10
Yea i noticed that in 3D mark 11 performance benchmark i allways consistantly got a physics score of around 7500. After unparking cores i now always get socre of 7800.

Most games use the GPU more intensively but it all depends on the processes and techniques the game utilities. I noticed a very big difference in planetside 2 which mannyy people cant even play over 10 fps lol ! But the 3610QM does a great job nonetheless. I have gotten 10 fps boost from unparking hence why i made this thread..

Yea I let a friend of mine use my machine to render some 1080p projects and that was the first time i saw 14GB RAM being used in task manager ! lol

jdotjdot7
Level 10
A 10 FPS boost eh, i may look into this. Although I do use this laptop for notetaking in classes so i hope there is a switch haha

mrwolf
Level 10
Heres an interesting link, explains everything in much more detail has some hard proof results too 🙂 that has been done on several processors including i7-3960K which is a monstter

http://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php

Fire
Level 10
Excellent find man!! cheers! Rep given

I've done the registry fix for core parking and some other changes with the other keys listed (http://creativx.net/forums/customization/119252-reveal-hidden-power-options-4-laptops-ssd-win7-print...)

I definitely notice a big improvement. This used to say 6.32 pts

Here are some of my benches with the parking disabled + OC

3DMARK VANTAGE: (http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/4433298)
3DMARK11: (http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5115168)

HulkSmash
Level 8
How much improvement did you get exactly? About how many fps? And dude are you sure it doesn't shorten the lifetime? I mean, you're using it at max at all times....And if those parked cores at unparked when they are needed, what is the point of unlocking them, if they are already unlocked when necessary (when an application requests it)? Awesome find btw...just want to make sure I won't cause any harm to my lappy before I do it 😛