cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard backlight issue

Sa1Nt
Level 7
Hey guys!

I've recently bought an ASUS UX31A ultrabook and I was very happy until I found out that HDMI output wasn't working. I've sent laptop to repair and it was working fine once it was returned. However, now I've found out that keyboard backlight isn't working. I've checked and it appears that they upgraded BIOS on the machine to 2.14 version (and the most recent version on ASUS website is 2.12), and if I understood properly, this could be the cause of the problem (atleast I really really hope it's not a hardware issue). I've tried downgrading BIOS version to 2.12 but easyflash or winflash won't let me change it since it states it's too old. Any ideas if this is possible or any insight on how to fix this problem? 😞 I'm running a Windows 8 OS on it if it's important (tried executing hcontrol.exe file manually but nothing happens) and FN keys (3 & 4) are just not doing anything. All other FN functions work fine apparently.

Thanks in advance!
6 REPLIES 6

cl-scott
Level 12
Unfortunately, this is most likely to be a hardware issue. You should get at least some kind of backlight when the unit first boots, before the BIOS kicks in and switches it off. If you're not getting that, the only non-warranty voiding method is to send it back in. So the choice is yours. You can either send it back in to get the keyboard backlight fixed, or you can just live without it.

Pitcher1
Level 9
hi, did you send to ASUS service center before, right, if i am correct.
is able to use befoe you send to ASUS service center?
if yes, i thinks you should send back again, and tell Engineer to check KB two FPC have connecter, and have your FN driver install?

Hi guys!

Yes, it was at the service center earlier to fix the HDMI problem and they replaced entire motherboard 😞 I guess I'll have to return it back again for repairs.. I've purchased this laptop a month ago and I was only able to use it for two weeks 😞

Sa1Nt
Level 7
Quick update, the issue was fixed at the service center and it was related to the certain instruction to the motherboard to let the lights work.. Dude didn't want to elaborate on what exactly he did, but apparently it's strictly related to ASUS motherboards and you need a special tool for it 😮

Sa1Nt wrote:
Quick update, the issue was fixed at the service center and it was related to the certain instruction to the motherboard to let the lights work.. Dude didn't want to elaborate on what exactly he did, but apparently it's strictly related to ASUS motherboards and you need a special tool for it 😮

Well, the important part is that it was just a minor oversight that could be fixed quickly and easily, and now you have a fully functional laptop. Enjoy.

Where exactly did you take it? I just bought an Asus today, and the keyboard backlight hasn't worked at all. I don't know if I particularly want to send it in for repairs..