cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxiumus V Extreme - SLI Performance Issues

cainey77
Level 7
Hi all, hope you can help.

I bought and setup the following system in August.

CORSAIR H100 CWCH100 INTEL/AMD
Intel Core i7 3770K
ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME Z77
16GB 4x4GB CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9
2 x 128GB SSUNG 830 SSD Raid 1
2 x GTX580 SLI EVGA
Corsair HX850 PSU
Asus Xonar D2X
Windows 7 Home Premium

Basically I've had nothing but problems from the start. Ranging from terrible performance, complete freezing, display drivers restarts and BSODs. The BSODs logs showed errors with the graphic drivers.
I've updated the BIOS drivers and completely wiped the hard drives and restarted again. Updated the graphic drivers etc (basically all relevant drivers updated.
I stepped down to running 1 GFX card and all issues disappeared. That made me think it was just that card that was dodgy so RMA'd it.
Whilst waiting for that to come back the PSU then packed in too. So I RMA'd that too.
I've received the replacement components but unfortunately the faults have returned so I'm back to running on one graphics card.

Nothing is overclocked. The two cards were previously running fine in another system with the same PSU so it shouldn't be a power issue.

Does anyone know of any issues running 580's in SLI or does this sound like I have dodgy motherboard?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

HiVizMan
Level 40
I am aware of some PCIe issues that were around for a while a few months ago, could I ask when you bought your board.

And my opinion is that I would start RMA process and swap out the board.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

cainey77
Level 7
Hi HiVizMan,

The board was bought 29/08/2012

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you - I would RMA the board.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

cainey77
Level 7
Cheers, I shall start the RMA today. 🙂

HiVizMan can it be the same problem like in my earlier topic http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25987-Maximus-V-Extreme-Quad-Geforce-GTX-690 - my mobo was bought 2012/08/09 ?

Raja
Level 13
cainey77 wrote:
Hi all, hope you can help.

I bought and setup the following system in August.

CORSAIR H100 CWCH100 INTEL/AMD
Intel Core i7 3770K
ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME Z77
16GB 4x4GB CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9
2 x 128GB SSUNG 830 SSD Raid 1
2 x GTX580 SLI EVGA
Corsair HX850 PSU
Asus Xonar D2X
Windows 7 Home Premium

Basically I've had nothing but problems from the start. Ranging from terrible performance, complete freezing, display drivers restarts and BSODs. The BSODs logs showed errors with the graphic drivers.
I've updated the BIOS drivers and completely wiped the hard drives and restarted again. Updated the graphic drivers etc (basically all relevant drivers updated.
I stepped down to running 1 GFX card and all issues disappeared. That made me think it was just that card that was dodgy so RMA'd it.
Whilst waiting for that to come back the PSU then packed in too. So I RMA'd that too.
I've received the replacement components but unfortunately the faults have returned so I'm back to running on one graphics card.

Nothing is overclocked. The two cards were previously running fine in another system with the same PSU so it shouldn't be a power issue.

Does anyone know of any issues running 580's in SLI or does this sound like I have dodgy motherboard?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

other than the board, I'd look at the following:

1) Try using only one memory module and see if the freezes and driver issues are persistent. If they are reduced or go away, you'll need to work on the memory timings.

2) Latest firmware for the SSDs. Try without a RAID array and the IRST driver also. So use a single HDD or SSD (with latest firmware), see if that changes anything.

-Raja

cainey77
Level 7
Just for closure it turned out to be a faulty CPU. I sent the board, RAM and CPU back to where I purchased it from and they found the fault.
I never found exactly what was wrong with the CPU but when they tested on another board they encountered the same issues running SLI.
All sorted now though.

Thanks for the closure! It seems like the Asus board is usually the least likely culprit in these things. But a bad CPU is unexpected too.
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7