cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula NB Temps

gr8sho
Level 7
I've recently become aware of a potential NB issue on my mainboard, but before I take any action, I'm doing some research. At completely bone stock settings, as in after a CMOS clear and no overclocking applied, I check NB temp using the latest HWMonitor from CPUID for the NB sensor value. I'll post a screenshot, but at idle it is 49C, and this concerns me. I even have a fan pointed at it to try and help since the CPU cooler I use now no longer helps blow air onto the NB heatsink.

Furthermore, when doing OC runs up at 4.8GHz and running Prime95 v27.7, the NB is up in the high 70s under load, and even at idle it will be something like 63C.

Is this normal?

Thanks and Cheers
22 REPLIES 22

SUKARA
Level 10
If system running CPU don't over 65 degree,generally it's normal...

gr8sho
Level 7
Thank you, Sukara. I want to be very precise on this point. When doing OC runs, the CPU temp monitor in AISuite should not exceed 65C, is that right?

On the issue I was asking about regarding NB temp, it appears the problem was due to not having cleared the CMOS after Flash update to 1703. I've never experienced this sort of problem before, but I hope to have learned my lesson on this.

SUKARA
Level 10
Yes,Do not worry!!

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is normal for the AMD NB and ROG boards.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
That is normal for the AMD NB and ROG boards.

This has been my experience as well. HiViz pointed out to me that when you use
the h100i you no longer have the cpu fan blowing on the NB .. I added a fan and
she idles now around 45c with the cpu @ 30c.

Best of Luck. .c.

gr8sho
Level 7
I'm doing some more runs at 4.8GHz now. For some reason in the OP, I added the wrong picture. Right now with that 4.8GHz run using OCCT, but this works equally with IBT, the NB is showing a 79C temp using HWMonitor to instrument the sensor. Because of the H100i, I have no air blowing directly on the heatsink of the NB.

I need to ask one more time given I posted the incorrect image originally. If the NB runs up at 79C during a load run, is this still proper.

Is it normal for the NB to measure 60C at idle.

Both of these conditions concern me.

Thank you.

oldbrave
Level 9
The benchmarks you have mentioned put more of a load on the system that any type of normal use including gaming.
If you are worried about it then place a fan blowing down on the NB, I have a 60mm Delta blowing on mine and the temp never gets over 45c.
Electronic Smoke Signals From my TechnoTeepee
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5162Mhz [21x245] 1.546v 🙂
Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=52c
32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.5 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

oldbrave wrote:
The benchmarks you have mentioned put more of a load on the system that any type of normal use including gaming.
If you are worried about it then place a fan blowing down on the NB, I have a 60mm Delta blowing on mine and the temp never gets over 45c.

That looks like a very nice system you have there.

Can you post a pic of how you set that fan over the NB and how you secured it?

Thanks.

oldbrave wrote:

"Worried" is probably a relative term here, but yes, I am worried. After doing some research and testing, I've decided that the Delta fan you mention is the correct solution. Until mine arrives, I have an 80mm fan blowing on the NB. Right now at idle it is showing 42C. I've done some Prime and IBT runs and the NB stays in the low 50s. But more importantly I believe the system to be more stable.

Thanks for the suggestion.